A moment of magic from substitute Rebecca Cooke settled a thrilling Dublin Derby at the UCD Bowl and ensured Shelbourne remain joint-top of the SSE Airtricity Women's National League following their victory over DLR Waves.

Cooke, whose temporary spell with the Reds ends with this game as she returns to college in the US, gave the visiting fans something to remember her by with a stunning strike three minutes from time.

The striker left Ireland goalkeeper Eve Badana with no chance as she sent a 30-yard rocket crashing in off the underside of the bar as the clock ticked down.

It had looked to that point as if Noel King’s side would be frustrated by a Waves side, who themselves may be aggrieved not to have taken all three points, let alone one.

Shels' top scorer Saoirse Noonan had put the visitors in front early in the second half but they were pegged back as Waves sub Jetta Berrill netted her first goal since re-signing earlier this month.

A sold-out limited-capacity crowd was given full value for money in an entertaining and fast-paced game under the searing hot sun over Belfield.

Shels ’keeper Amanda Budden was called into action early on as she saved a bullet header from Jess Gleeson before quickly getting up to turn away Carla McManus’s rebound.

The visitors had chances too but they were mainly restricted to shots from distance, while Waves’ cutting edge saw them get in behind on a number of occasions.

Kerri Letmon picked out captain Catherine Cronin with a perfectly-measured crossfield ball and she looked certain to score, only for Jess Gargan to produce a wonderful covering tackle.

Noonan very nearly put Shels in front moments later as she produced an audacious overhead attempt from close range that Badana did well to tip over the bar.

The game changed three minutes after the break as a scramble in the box allowed Noonan to find a yard and drill the ball into the top corner.

Waves’ manager Graham Kelly responded by making four attacking changes and they combined for the leveller midway through the half.

Shauna Carroll held the ball up well on the left and picked out Avril Brierley inside, and she set up Berrill coming in from the right to finish with style.

That looked set to be that, but Cooke had other ideas and the substitute marked her final contribution in a Reds shirt with a fine strike that left Badana once more without a chance.

DLR Waves: Eve Badana; Aoife Brophy, Jess Gleeson, Niamh Barnes, Niamh Prior (Katie Burdis 83); Fiona Donnelly, Ciara Maher (Rachel Doyle 56), Katie Malone (Avril Brierley 63); Kerri Letmon (Jetta Berrill 56), Catherine Cronin (Shauna Carroll 56), Carla McManus.

Shelbourne: Amanda Budden; Jess Gargan, Pearl Slattery, Jessie Stapleton, Rachel Graham; Jamie Finn, Ciara Grant, Mia Dodd (Rebecca Cooke 59); Jessica Ziu (Keeva Keenan 70), Emily Whelan, Saoirse Noonan (Noelle Murray 85).

Elsewhere, the points were shared in Turner's Cross, but only because Cork City refused to give up and had Christina Dring to thank for converting a very late equaliser as they drew 2-2 with Athlone Town.

Athlone had taken the lead when a long ball caused confusion with goalkeeper Abby McCarthy rushing outside of her area and it fell to Katelyn Keogh to slot in.

Midfielder Éabha O'Mahony responded for The Leesiders with a deftly-taken finish from her left boot to make it 1-1 at the break. All square and all fair between the bottom two teams.

The visitors regained the lead through Roisin Molloy when a corner kick wasn't cleared but their second win of the season was snatched away when substitute Dring scored in added time.

Edel Kennedy scored the winner for Wexford Youths

Wexford have gone about their business with a quiet efficiency in recent weeks, but showed a clinical edge each time to ensure they remain very much in the title race following a 1-0 win away to Galway WFC.

Edel Kennedy's first-half goal proved to the difference on the scoreboard in this one, although it was the transition play that really stood out with the visitors moving the ball quickly between the lines.

Stephen Quinn's team should have added more goals in the second half - especially when Ellen Molloy broke free to set up Aisling Frawley - but they didn't take their chances. In the end, they didn't need to.

This was another game where Galway will feel that they didn't do themselves justice. They had flashes of good play and created some half chances but their individual quality is capable of more.

On a day when both Wexford Youths and Shelbourne occupied top spot at different stages, Peamount will be relieved to be back in pole position - albeit on goal difference following a 5-1 win over Treaty United.

Sadhbh Doyle got them started with a close range finish early on before Eleanor Ryan-Doyle connected with a Dearbhaible Beirne cross with a cushioned header.

Treaty, who have a history of making things difficult for Peamount, responded by scoring from the restart when Aoife Cronin was sent clear and she slotted in.

However, the champions showed their class in the second half with Alannah McEvoy and Ryan-Doyle adding to the scoreline before Karen Duggan finished it all off.