League leaders Dundalk made it eight wins on the trot with a comfortable display against Waterford at Oriel Park.

After grinding out a 1-0 victory against Shamrock Rovers in Tallaght on Friday, Vinny Perth's team enjoyed a more straightforward night here with the game all but put to bed by the half-time whistle.

Playing for the second time in the space of just 72 hours, both managers shuffled their respective packs.

Perth made four changes with Jamie McGrath, Daniel Cleary, Dean Jarvis and Daniel Kelly all restored to the team. 

Alan Reynolds made three alterations to the side beaten late on by Bohemians on Friday with Kenny Browne coming into partner Damien Delaney at the heart of the defence. Elsewhere, Kevin Lynch and Georgie Poynton came in for Robert Slevin and John Martin respectively.

The Waterford manager's game plan went out of the window with less than 90 seconds played. Sean Gannon's cross wasn't dealt with it and Matthew Connor's parry cannoned back off Browne and rolled into the net. 

Dundalk went in search of a quick-fire second and Hoban had a goal ruled out for offside in the 10th minute before Patrick McEleney somehow managed to miss a tap in after a fantastic run down the left wing by Sean Hoare.

Perth's side kept the pressure on and Connor made a fine stop to deny Hoban in the 22nd minute after a brilliant piece of interplay between the striker and McEleney on the edge of the penalty area.

However, he was helpless to deny the champions two minutes later, Daniel Kelly arriving at the near post to sweep Hoban's ball into the far corner.

The visitors almost hauled themselves back into it on the half hour when JJ Lunney angled a volley at goal but Gary Rogers was relieved to see the ball crash off the underside of his crossbar and bounce to safety. The Lilywhites 'keeper then safely collected a Dean Walsh effort from distance.

The hosts enjoyed a cruise in the second half with Waterford showing little signs of getting back into it and Hoban was unlucky to see a low drive fly just wide of the post with an hour played.

McGrath made it 3-0 five minutes later, hooking home his first goal in over a year after Hoban was again denied by the Waterford 'keeper before Shane Duggan also rattled the woodwork for the struggling visitors late on.

DUNDALK FC: Gary Rogers; Sean Gannon, Daniel Cleary, Sean Hoare (Brian Gartland HT), Dean Jarvis; Chris Shields, Patrick McEleney (Robbie Benson 66); Daniel Kelly, Jamie McGrath, Michael Duffy (Sean Murray 74); Patrick Hoban. 

WATERFORD: Matthew Connor; Georgie Poynton, Damien Delaney, Kenny Browne (Cory Galvin HT), Kevin Lynch (John Martin 69); JJ Lunney, Karolis Chvedukas, Shane Duggan, Bastien Hery, Dean Walsh (Dean O'Halloran 65); Rory Feely. 

REFEREE: Derek Tomney