Sinn Fein TD and former Cork City chairman Jonathan O’Brien was ejected from Turner’s Cross last night following a protest against the FAI. 

O’Brien – who was part of the Oireachtas Committee that met with the officials of the Association on Wednesday – was escorted out of the ground by Gardai.

Cork fans had unveiled a protest banner against FAI executive vice-president John Delaney, in a stand named after Delaney's father Joe.

O'Brien was reportedly trying to mediate between supporters and stewards who were attempting to remove the banner.

O’Brien told the Irish Sun: "There was one fan removed and unfortunately that was me. I didn’t even have the banner.

They told me I was removed on the grounds that I was impeding the gardaí from trying to remove the banner - that is the reason I was given.

"This is a really bad look for the FAI if people are seen not to be allowed conduct peaceful protests. What do they expect?

"At the most recent international match against Georgia, tennis balls were thrown on the pitch and that was condemned by the FAI.

"You hold up a peaceful banner saying ‘Delaney Out’ and that is not allowed either.

"I am disappointed in the reaction of the Gardaí but I won’t be making too much of it, I will be back in Turner’s Cross next week."

Cork City later released a statement saying O'Brien had not breached any stadium regulations that would have led to him being removed.

"Having spoken to Mr. O’Brien and reviewed the CCTV footage, the club wishes to confirm that there was no breach of stadium regulations by him," the club said.

"This was a frank and positive discussion, and both parties are happy that the matter is now concluded to their mutual satisfaction.

"In addition to the meeting with Mr. O’Brien, the club now plans to have further discussions with all key stakeholders involved in advance of our next home fixture with the intention of ensuring the best match night experience possible for our supporters."

Meanwhile, a protest banner was also unveiled in the 33rd minute in The Showgrounds as Sligo Rovers beat Dundalk and anti-FAI chanting was heard at the games at Tallaght Stadium and Finn Park.