Derry City 3-0 Shamrock Rovers

Derry City rose to the summit of the SSE Airtricity Premier Division table thanks to an impressive victory over Shamrock Rovers at the Brandywell Stadium.

Goals from Ronan Curtis and Harry Monaghan blew Rovers away in the opening quarter, before Rory Patterson capped his 100th appearance for the club with a second-half penalty to seal the points.

The Candystripes were inches away from taking the lead in the first minute but Barry McNamee's strike was cleared off the line by Gavin Brennan, but did however break the deadlock just 60 seconds later.

Winger Ronan Curtis was on hand to turn the ball home, after McNamee's initial shot had falling to the teenager inside the six yard box.

The home side doubled their advantage in super style when Dean Jarvis' tremendous left wing centre found the in-rushing Harry Monaghan, who powerfully headed home from close range.

A minute later Rovers goalkeeper Barry Murphy had to make a super save when at full stretch he parried away Rory Patterson's attempted 25-yard chip.

Another defence-splitting pass by McNamee released Patterson, who showed ample composure to slot the ball home from the edge of the box, but his celebrations were premature as the referee's assistant had his flag up and the goal was disallowed for offside.

The visitors were inches away from getting a goal back on 47 minutes when Ryan McBride's miss hit clearance fell perfectly for Gary McCabe, but his left-footed strike from the edge of the box flew just wide.

Derry added a third on 58 minutes from the penalty spot when substitute David Webster pulled down Patterson inside the six yard box.

Referee David McKeon pointed to the spot and the City striker got back up and made no mistake from 12 yards to seal a comprehensive victory for the home side.

Derry City: Doherty, Vemmelund, McBride, Barry (McClean 90), Jarvis; McEneff, Monaghan; Curtis, McNamee (McDermott 88), Ward (Boyle 81); Patterson.

Shamrock Rovers: Murphy, Madden, Blanchard, O'Connor (Webster H-T), G Brennan; McCabe, Gregg (Clarke 75); K Brennan, Miele, Drennan; North (McCafferty 65).

Referee: Mr David McKeon (Dublin).