Eric Dier’s performances for Tottenham this season have been rewarded with his first senior England call-up on Thursday.

Dier moved to Portugal at the age of seven and started playing for Sporting Lisbon's youth team after being spotted by scouts.

The 21-year-old remained at the Portuguese club until the summer of 2014 when Spurs signed him for €4 million.

Dier has played nine times for the England Under-21s but in November last year he opted out of playing for Gareth Southgate's team against Portugal and France.

He said he wanted to go back to Tottenham to work on his game as a centre-half, rather than play at right-back.

But he has been performing well as a holding midfielder for Spurs this season and could now feature in the friendly against Spain in Alicante on November 14 or the home game versus France three days later.

Jack Grealish has not been included in manager Roy Hodgson’s squad as he is still waiting to receive international clearance from FIFA.

The Ireland-eligible midfielder recently decided to declare for England after wearing the green jersey at underage level.

There is no place in the 23-man squad either for Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge, who continues to be troubled by a knee injury.

There are 13 squad regulars out injured, including the likes of Danny Welbeck, Theo Walcott, Jordan Henderson, Luke Shaw and Jack Wilshere.

Manchester City midfielder Fabian Delph has been recalled after he recovered from a hamstring injury.

Premier League top scorer Jamie Vardy is one of three strikers - along with Wayne Rooney and Harry Kane - named in the party.

Hodgson said of Dier: "He's done very well. Obviously it's a position in the centre of midfield where we wanted someone of a more defensive bent and there are not a lot of those players available to us.


"We are much more blessed in terms of forward players or attack-minded players but this is a good opportunity for him. Having seen what he can do for Tottenham we can see what he can do for us."

Meanwhile, both Mathieu Valbuena and Karim Benzema have been left out of the France squad for games against Germany and England.

Real Madrid striker Benzema was put under formal judicial investigation in his home country in connection with an alleged attempt to blackmail Olympique Lyonnais forward Valbuena with the use of a sex video.