Ireland made it two wins from two in the Andy Farrell era as they saw off Guinness Six Nations champions Wales 24-14 at the Aviva Stadium.

It was a vastly improved performance from the hosts, who had struggled to beat Scotland last weekend.

The victory, which came courtesy of tries from Jordan Larmour, Tadhg Furlong, Josh van der Flier and Andrew Conway brought an end to Wales' eight-game winning streak in the championship, which included a Grand Slam last year.

The World Cup semi-finalists were second best throughout as the hosts largely bossed possession and territory on a dry but windy Dublin afternoon.

Jordan Larmour scored Ireland's opening try

Indeed the scoreline could have been more favourable had Ireland taken advantage of a number of promising positions in the first 20 minutes but there was clear intent to move the ball wide and offload from the start. 

That will give Farrell plenty to work on ahead of a clash with England in Twickenham in two weeks' time but for the first time in over a year Ireland found a rhythm and remain on course for a triple crown and championship tilt.

The first score came after a frantic opening 19 minutes where Robbie Henshaw and Bundee Aki tested new Welsh centre Nick Tomkins, often getting over the gain line without finding a final pass.

But within that first quarter, played mainly in the opposition half, Ireland were turned over five times with Wales smarter at the breakdown and referee Romain Poite missing some infringements.

The pressure then paid off when Ireland's pack went through a number of phases in the Welsh 22 before Conor Murray flung the ball out to Larmour, who had a a full complement of defenders between him and the line.

No matter, the Leinster full-back skipped inside and brushed off a couple of would-be tacklers for his seventh international try, which Sexton, with his leg heavily bandaged, failed to convert.

Still Ireland camped in the Welsh half but twice more lost the ball in contact and were made to rue that sloppiness when scrum-half Tomos Williams, after excellent work from captain Alun Wyn Jones and Dan Biggar, rushed in under the posts.

It was a rare foray into the Irish 22 for the visitors and the out-half converted, giving the champions a 7-5 lead after 28 minutes.

But Wales, who lost World Cup top try-scorer Josh Adams to injury, weren't immune from basic errors either and just four minutes later Furlong burst over following a scrum close to the red line after Williams had knocked on under no pressure.

This time Sexton added the two points and Ireland went in at half-time, having played with a wind advantage, five points up.

Andrew Conway celebrates with team-mate Ross Byrne after scoring his side's fourth try

That was doubled to ten just seven minutes after the restart, by which time Ireland had lost Henshaw and Wales' Biggar following head injury assessments.

That meant a run-out for Keith Earls in the centre, with Jarrod Evans, who was a late addition to the match-day squad, on for Wayne Pivac's side.

The third try came following a lineout maul with Van der Flier touching down and Sexton landing a beautiful conversion from the sideline.

Wales needed something and immediately went on the attack, almost scoring from the next passage of play.

Hadleigh Parkes, who scored a similar try in the World Cup warm-up, and was also on the scoresheet in last season's game, knocked on over the line under pressure from Aki, the ref initially giving the score before reversing the decision after a TMO consultation.

More pressure followed but replacement prop Dave Kilcoyne, who lasted just a minute of the 19-12 win over Scotland due to a head injury, won a reliving penalty at the scrum, much to the delight of the Lansdowne Road crowd, allowing Sexton to move Ireland up the field.

From there, the 2018 winners were patient and ran down the clock in the Welsh half before Conway dived in in the corner for the bonus point.

Justin Tipuric scored a consolation try in overtime but it was too little too late.

Ireland: Jordan Larmour, Andrew Conway, Robbie Henshaw, Bundee Aki, Jacob Stockdale, Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rob Herring, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander

Replacements: Ronan Kelleher, Dave Kilcoyne, Andrew Porter, Devin Toner, Max Deegan, John Cooney, Ross Byrne, Keith Earls.  

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Nick Tompkins, Hadleigh Parkes, Josh Adams, Dan Biggar, Tomos Williams, Taulupe Faletau, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Jake Ball, Dillon Lewis, Ken Owens, Wyn Jones.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Rhys Carre, Leon Brown, Adam Beard, Ross Moriarty, Gareth Davies, Jarrod Evans, Johnny McNicholl.