Ruthless New Zealand handed Ireland a harsh lesson in fortress Eden Park on Saturday morning.

Now unbeaten at the Auckland venue over 47 Tests since 1994, the All Blacks started slowly but once they found their rhythm they never looked like losing that record.

The visitors, who scored the opening try through Keith Earls, gave up four tries in a harrowing second quarter, which ended the game as a contest.

In addition, Ireland lost captain Johnny Sexton to a head injury and the 36-year-old is likely to be stood down for next week's Test.

Replacement hooker Dave Heffernan was also removed from the play with Ireland’s squad depth set to be severely tested in their remaining three matches.

In total, Ian Foster’s side, who were beaten 29-20 in Dublin last November, ran in six tries and at times it looked like men against boys as the visitors tried to hang on for dear life.

Andy Farrell's side couldn't have gotten off to a better start and opened the scoring with a superbly worked and executed try.

Sexton pumped the ball into the All Blacks half after an offside and from there worked a series of phases to expose the home defence.

With Peter O’Mahony and Caelan Doris offloading and stepping before the contact to create space, Ireland surged forward.

Dan Sheehan was heavily involved and Jamison Gibson-Park kept the tempo up, involving numerous willing runners.

Playing a penalty advantage, Garry Ringrose fed inside to Hugo Keenan, who scooped the ball out to Earls.

The Munster wing still had work to do but finished in trademark style for his 35th international try.

Ofa Tu'ungafasi and Sam Cane were feeling the hurt of two big tackles and Ireland were holding their own, albeit the set-piece started to creak once New Zealand got up to pace.

However, what followed was a collapse of monumental proportions from the tourists.

Four tries followed in the next 20 minutes as the three-time world champions, who had lost their last two Tests, put the game to bed.

It was built on a savage counter-rucking game and some naivety from Ireland, who over-complicated matters, gave away a selection box of penalties, and playing in the wrong areas of the pitch played right into the hands of Foster’s side.

Centre Quinn Tupaea combined with new cap Leicester Fainga'anuku and when the ball was recycled full-back Jordie Barrett bashed his way over.

Ireland worked their way into the 22 but Sexton slipped and his head made contact with Cane’s elbow. Immediately the captain put his hand to his head but was soon back in the play.

But Ringrose forced a pass out to James Lowe, who had slipped, and Sevu Reece picked up the loose ball and ran in from 80 yards.

Sexton was removed for a head injury assessment, which he failed, and replaced by Joey Carbery.

Smelling blood in the water, New Zealand went in for the kill.

Gibson-Park ran from inside his own 22 and got turned over. Beauden Barrett spotted a huge gap in the backfield and dinked a perfect ball through for Tupaea to land on.

The Irish were sucking air and looked out on their feet, Andrew Porter’s bloodied face and body language summing up the mood.

But the hosts, whose preparation was disrupted by a number of Covid cases among the management and squad, refused to let up.

Aaron Smith’s spatial awareness led to their fourth, the scrum-half running through a massive gap before chipping over Keenan and palming the ball back for Ardie Savea to mop up.

Jordie Barrett smashed over his fourth conversion to make it 28-5, the most amount of points Ireland had conceded in a first half since the 60-0 massacre in Hamilton in 2012 against the same opposition.

Ireland hit back at the start of the second half with Ringrose finishing in the corner from a Lowe offload with Carbery arrowing over the kick.

It proved nothing more than a brief respite. Savea evaded a poor tackle attempt by Ringrose and scythed through with no real cover to hinder his progress to the line.

Rieko Ioane twice denied Ireland a third try, first stopping Carbery and then Josh van der Flier on the line.

Heffernan replaced Sheehan but the Connacht hooker lasted just a few minutes before the switch was reversed. It was not clear whether he was removed for a HIA or another issue.

Replacement Pita Gus Sowakula dived in over the posts on his debut with ten minutes to play as Ireland continued to struggle.

Bundee Aki, who replaced Earls, in the second half, barged over for a late consolation but the post mortem on this performance will not be pretty.

New Zealand: Jordie Barrett; Sevu Reece, Rieki Ioane, Quinn Tupaea, Leicester Fainga'anuku; Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith; George Bower, Codie Taylor, Ofa Tu'ungafasi; Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock; Scott Barrett, Sam Cane (capt), Ardie Savea.

Replacements: Samisoni Taukei'aho, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Angus Ta'avao, Pita Gus Sowakula, Dalton Papalii, Finlay Christie, Richie Mo'unga, Braydon Ennor.

Ireland: Hugo Keenan; Keith Earls, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw, James Lowe; Johnny Sexton, Jamison Gibson-Park; Andrew Porter, Dan Sheehan, Tadhg Furlong; Tadhg Beirne, James Ryan; Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris.

Replacements: Dave Heffernan, Cian Healy, Tom O'Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Jack Conan, Conor Murray, Joey Carbery, Bundee Aki.

Referee: Karl Dickson (RFU)