Johnny Sexton has said he let himself down over his reaction to being substituted in the Guinness Six Nations defeat to France on Saturday and revealed he apologised to Andy Farrell for his behaviour.
The Ireland captain was withdrawn at Stade de France with just over 10 minutes to play with his side trailing Les Bleus by eight points in a game the visitors ultimately lost 35-27 and ending any hopes of a Six Nations title.
We need your consent to load this SoundCloud contentWe use SoundCloud to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
The Leinster out-half was visibly disappointed to be taken off in Paris, shaking his head as he appeared to look towards the Irish management.
While he downplayed the incident in the post-match interviews, speaking to the media ahead of the Autumn Nations Cup, Sexton conceded it was an error of judgement.
"(I'm) Disappointed in myself with the reaction, to a certain extent," he said. "Obviously if I had known the stories that it was going to create and the way that it's been perceived, I obviously wouldn't have done it, but you've got to take it from my point of view.
"It's in the heat of the moment, up there with the biggest games I've played in as captain, and yeah, it's obviously a low point, and I reacted in a bad way for a split second. That's it really.
"I spoke to Andy after the game, I spoke to him on Sunday when I realised it was such a big thing, and we sorted things out. I apologised and said 'Look, it shouldn't have happened.'
It's not the first apology I've made in my career and it won't be the last probably
"It did, it was a split second, and obviously I let myself down in that regard. But you learn and you move on really. I suppose it's not the first apology I've made in my career and it won't be the last probably.
"We'll move on. We've got a good relationship and there's no problems going forward."
Former Ireland head coach Eddie O'Sullivan described the moment as "an amazingly poor decision", suggesting that it undermined Farrell in the process.
The current head coach however rejected this and insisted there is no ill-feeling between the pair.
"Not at all. Johnny is a passionate guy and it's the reason that we all love him as a player for how long he's been at the top of the Irish game," he said, adding that the incident had been blown out of proportion.
"I suppose there is always a bit of learning from every game that you play, etc, but no, I don't feel undermined and neither do the team.
"We need Johnny to be himself and obviously there is always going to be learnings along the way but you know, you're not going to change overnight a person that has been at the top, doing what he has done, because of the intent and the attitude that he's got."
James Lowe meanwhile is one of three uncapped players named in the 34-man Ireland squad as the build-up begins for the Guinness Series and Autumn Nations Cup fixtures.
New Zealand born wing Lowe is now eligible to play for Ireland, qualifying to pull on the green shirt through World Rugby's three-year residency rule.
That rule has been extended to five years but Lowe arrived in Ireland when the three-year protocol existed.
The uncapped trio of Lowe, Shane Daly and Billy Burns all come in to the squad, while Jack Carty drops out.
Ireland play Wales at home on Friday 13 November and then travel to London to play England at Twickenham on Saturday 21 November.
The following Sunday, Ireland will host Georgia at the Aviva Stadium and will complete the series of international fixtures on Saturday 5 December against either Fiji, France, Italy or Scotland.