Leo Cullen admitted that holders Leinster "got a little bit fortunate" with their winning try after they sunk Heineken Champions Cup opponents Bath 17-10.

Wing Jordan Larmour claimed a 50-metre interception score early in the second half to keep Leinster firmly on track for another quarter-final appearance.

But Leinster head coach Cullen said: "We do get a little bit lucky.

"The lineout [throw] goes crooked, Bath play for the advantage, the referee calls advantage over and within the next two seconds they throw a pass and we are suddenly scoring at the other end of the field.

"It was a big moment in the game, for sure. We got a little bit fortunate there."

Bath delivered arguably their most impressive display of a disappointing season so far, but they were undone after taking the lead through prop Henry Thomas' 22nd-minute try that James Wilson converted, with Wilson adding a late penalty to secure a losing bonus point.

Hooker Sean Cronin hauled Leinster level just before the interval, and with world player of the year Johnny Sexton converting both tries and Ross Byrne kicking a late penalty, Leinster went top of Pool One.

Bath, though, are drifting towards an early exit, having failed to win any of their first three European games and facing a testing return encounter against Leinster in Dublin next weekend.

Cullen added: "We lacked a little bit of punch in the collision part of the game and we probably didn't generate enough momentum in attack.

"It was a little bit mixed in terms of the performance and we are pleased to get the win.

"There are a hell of a lot of things we can get better at. We just lacked that little bit of sharpness in the first 20 or 30 minutes of the game. We need to make sure we understand what gets us into trouble and what makes us good."

Sexton limped off near the end of the game due to a suspected calf muscle issue, although Cullen reported that he does not think it is serious.

Bath's Recreation Ground loss means they have won just once since mid-September, and only a victory in Dublin will suffice if they want to stay afloat in Europe.

"I think if we played like that every week we would be a different side," Bath rugby director Todd Blackadder said. "There was really nothing between the teams.

"I am just so focused on backing up next week. I thought we were in a massive arm-wrestle today and it came down to a couple of little decisions.

"I suppose if we win next week we are still in with a shout, and if we don't it's basically game over. We will go full metal jacket."

Bath skipper Charlie Ewels added: "We owed a performance like that to ourselves and the fans. We left everything out there on the pitch.

"The beauty of this competition is that we get to do it again next weekend.

"We are going to prepare to go and beat Leinster next weekend, and until it is mathematically not possible for us to qualify we will keep pushing."