Munster match-winner Rory Scannell admitted not all his team-mates wanted him to take on the match-winning penalty against Glasgow Warriors, but the centre was always confident he would have the distance. 

Dave Rennie’s side enjoyed a deserved 12-7 interval lead courtesy of two George Horne tries, and when Matt Fagerson touched down to seal at least a bonus point and make the score 24-10 in the Scottish team’s favour, it appeared the visitors were well on their way to extending their lead at the top of Conference A of the Guinness Pro14.

Johann van Graan’s side refused to surrender. Replacement Alex Wootton crossed and Alby Mathewson’s try with five minutes remaining made it a two-point game before Scannell snatched it with a 55-metre penalty.

"I actually didn’t even realise we were down by two," he told RTÉ Sport.

"Keats [Ian Keatley] asked me if I wanted to take the shot and I was happy to. Billy Holland wanted to go to the corner, but I told him I’d kick it. I felt I had the legs so I said I’d give it a go.

"I might have celebrated a bit too early, but luckily it had the legs"

"I knew I struck it fairly well. I was fairly confident it had the legs, whether it had the direction, I didn’t know.

"I might have celebrated a bit too early, but luckily it had the legs."

Before the centre could take the kick, captain Peter O’Mahony was down receiving medical attention and he was soon involved in the decision process over the final play.

"Billy, Keats and myself all had a chat. When Pete got up we all came to an agreement that we’d have a shot at goal. I haven’t struck one that well for a while, so it was great to save it for tonight."

It was a tough break on the visiting team who showed flashes of attacking brilliance with some free-flowing expansive rugby.

Scannell, who failed to make Joe Schmidt’s Ireland squad for the upcoming November internationals, says Munster contributed somewhat to their own downfall after taking an early lead in the contest.

"We had a good opening 25 minutes. I felt on their counter-attack they cut us apart, and before we knew it, they scored two tries in the first half. Sixty minutes in and we were chasing the game.

"We came back well to get two tries near the end, and kept fighting to the end.

"Once we play like we did in the last 20 minutes, we will always be in with a chance."