Munster crushed Leicester Tigers 38-0 to inflict a record-breaking European defeat on the Premiership club at Thomond Park.

Rassie Erasmus’ side made it 10 points from their opening two game in Pool 1 with tries from Simon Zebo, Jaco Taute (2) and a late penalty try securing the bonus-point win.

Leicester did the double on Munster last year and also famously won in Limerick back in 2007, but Richard Cockerill's current squad failed to land a blow in the opening 40 minutes and were ultimately outplayed throughout.

The Tigers were second best from the outset and were forced to concede a number of early penalties as Munster controlled territory and possession.

A Peter O'Mahony lineout steal preceded Tyler Bleyendaal's first successful penalty in the 10th minute and just short of the half hour mark the New Zealander made it four from four off the tee.

Leicester lock Ed Slater was sent to the bin soon after as referee Romain Poite grew tired of the constant infringements.

After Munster pounded away at the visitors' defence, Conor Murray's brilliant pop pass off a close-in ruck saw the onrushing Zebo break a tackle and glide in behind the posts.

Bleyendaal converted for 19-0 and with Keith Earls fizzing with intent, the Irish province held territory up to the break.

Despite better play from Leicester on the resumption, Munster's immense physicality held them at bay.

The home forwards were clinical in attack too, a monster maul setting up dominant carries from John Ryan and Stander and South African centre Taute was fed to crash over from close range, with Bleyendaal converting.

Approaching the hour mark, Sweetnam ran hard into the 22 and his excellently-timed offload out of a tackle released Taute for his second try which went unconverted.

Just a couple of minutes later, Manu Tuilagi was binned for what referee Romain Poite deemed a dangerous charge at a ruck.

The visitors' bench did have a decent impact, particularly young forward Luke Hamilton, but they were unable to take anything tangible into next week's re-match at Welford Road.

A Sweetnam-inspired attack yielded Munster's bonus point, his grubber kick being dribbled on by Taute who was tackled early by the covering Worth for the double whammy of a yellow card and penalty try.

The win moves Munster to the top of the tree ahead of next weekend’s return tie as the Tigers failed to register a score in Europe for the first time in 13 years.

In the same pool, Glasgow Warriors banished the demons of last season to overcome Racing 92 23-14 in Paris.

The Scottish side's quarter-final hopes faded with defeat at the Stade Yves-du-Manoir last season but they are in position to qualify this time around thanks to tries from Alex Dunbar and Ali Price.

Argentina wing Juan Imhoff put the hosts ahead in the opening exchanges before Dan Carter scored late-on, but it was not enough to lift them off the foot of pool one ahead of next week's return clash at Scotstoun.