The nominees for the RTÉ Sport Awards Sportsperson of the Year in association with Sport Ireland were announced this afternoon as well as details of how the public can vote for their favourite ahead of the awards ceremony on Saturday week.
Nominees and voting details for both the Team of the Year and Manager of the Year awards will be announced later with the winners set to be revealed live on RTE One on Saturday 17 December.
The nominees for the RTÉ Sport Awards 2016 Sportsperson of the Year are -
- Seamus Callanan – The Sunday Game Hurler of the Year capped an incredible year by scoring 13 points to ensure Tipperary’s All Ireland victory.
- Eoghan Clifford – Claimed a road cycling Gold and a track cycling bronze at his first Paralympic Games
- Katie George Dunlevy and Eve McCrystal – Picked up Gold and Silver Paralympic Road cycling medals
- Brian Fenton – Dublin’s midfield general continued his phenomenal record of being unbeaten in a Dublin jersey
- Carl Frampton – Became just the second ever Irishman to have held World Titles in two different weight classes
- Denise Gaule – Denise added the Camogie Player of the Year Award to her first O’Duffy Cup in a memorable campaign.
- Jamie Heaslip – The World Rugby Player of the Year nominee was a colossus in Ireland’s victories over South Africa, New Zealand and Australia
- Daryl Horgan – Dundalk’s magic man was the outstanding player in a truly outstanding team in the league and Europe
- Conor McGregor – The Notorious furthered his claim as Ireland’s most renowned sportsman by moving weight to claim his second UFC title
- Annalise Murphy – Annalise came back from her London 2012 heartbreak to claim an Olympic Sailing Silver Medal in Rio
- Paul O’Donovan – Added a World Championship Gold to the Olympic Silver he picked up with his brother in Rio.
- Bríd Stack – Bríd was named ladies footballer of the Year after picking up her 11th All Ireland medal.
How to vote by text:
Voting lines will open at 2pm on Friday, 2 December. Voting lines will close at 10am on Monday, 12 December 2016. Please do not vote outside of the advertised vote window as you will be charged for your vote, but your vote will not count.
To vote by SMS, text A-L representing the sportsperson with the relevant letter to 53125 (ROI & NI).
Each text vote costs 60c or 60p. Please ask permission from the bill payer before you vote. RTÉ voting terms and conditions apply. Service Provider, Phonovation. Tel: 0818 217 100
- Text A to 53125 to vote for Seamus Callanan
- Text B to 53125 to vote for Eoghan Clifford
- Text C to 53125 to vote for Katie George Dunlevy
- Text D to 53125 to vote for Brian Fenton
- Text E to 53125 to vote for Carl Frampton
- Text F to 53125 to vote for Denise Gaule
- Text G to 53125 to vote for Jamie Heaslip
- Text H to 53125 to vote for Daryl Horgan
- Text I to 53125 to vote for Conor McGregor
- Text J to 53125 to vote for Annalise Murphy
- Text K to 53125 to vote for Paul O’Donovan
- Text L to 53125 to vote for Brid Stack
How to vote online:
Click here to register your vote for free online.
Text voting terms and conditions:
Please only vote once, any further voting will result in further charges for each vote separately.
RTÉ's decision in relation to the determination of the overall winner and the validity of the televote system is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
In the unlikely event of a tied result for Sportsperson of the Year, the winner will be chosen by the Group Head of RTÉ Sport.
Remember to ask permission from the bill payer before you vote. RTÉ standard voting terms and conditions also apply.