Patrick Horgan helped himself to ten points as Cork demolished Waterford by double scores, 0-28 to 0-14, in Thurles to advance to the Munster SHC semi-finals.

The Rebels produced a much improved performance a fortnight on from their drawn quarter-final clash against Waterford to claim a routine win.

Jimmy Barry-Murphy’s fluent Cork finished with ten different scorers as they romped to a 14-point win.

And Cork’s win sets up a mouthwatering clash with Clare next Sunday – in what will be a repeat of last year’s classic All-Ireland finals. 

In front of 22,093 spectators, Cork were fluent in attack and solid defensively.

And crucially, the winners got off to a much better start than two weeks before.

The sides were level three times during the opening exchanges but Cork never allowed Waterford to build up a head of steam.

And the Déise suffered a devastating injury blow as early as the fifth minute when former All Star defender Noel Connors limped off injured.

Waterford would also lose Colin Dunford to injury later in the game but nevertheless, there was no doubting Cork’s overall dominance.

Their winning tally was split evenly between both halves – with Horgan leading the way.

Horgan hit five points from play and as many from placed balls but Bill Cooper, called in from the start, Conor Lehane and Seamus Harnedy were also impressive.

Defensively, Cork put the shackles on Waterford, who finished with a haul of ten points from play.

Pauric Mahony hit four of his five points from placed balls and while Austin Gleeson, goal hero from the drawn game, hit three points, all of them were second-half consolation scores.

Gleeson was also on the receiving end of an off the ball blow from Lorcán McLoughlin in the first half but the Cork player escaped with just a yellow card.

Waterford will also rue a tally of 15 wides but Cork could afford the luxury of a missed penalty in the first half.

Just before half-time, Pa Cronin was fouled and from the resultant penalty, Anthony Nash was denied.

Nash’s opposite number Stephen O’Keeffe came rushing from his line to meet the All Star shotstopper at the point of contact.

And while Nash argued with referee Johnny Ryan that O’Keeffe had strayed too far from his line, play continued and Bill Cooper whipped the loose ball over the crossbar.

A mass melee ensued but calm was restored by half-time as Barry-Murphy gathered his troops together and allowed Waterford to head down the tunnel before Cork did.

Cork led by 0-14 to 0-05 at the break and there was no way back for Waterford, who will now attempt to regroup for the qualifiers.

Cork: A Nash; S O’Neill, D Cahalane, S McDonnell; C Joyce (0-01), M Ellis, L McLoughlin; D Kearney (0-02), A Walsh; S Harnedy (0-03), B Cooper (0-03), C Lehane (0-04; A Cadogan (0-01), P Cronin, P Horgan (0-10, 5f).

Subs: S Moylan (0-01) for Cadogan (59), B Lawton for Walsh (59), P O’Sullivan (0-02) for Kearney (60), W Egan for McLoughlin (64), R O’Shea (0-01) for Cooper (64).

Waterford: S O’Keeffe; S Fives, L Lawlor, N Connors; J Nagle, M Walsh, T Burke; S O’Sullivan (0-01), K Moran; J Dillon, A Gleeson (0-03), P Mahony (0-05, 3f, 1 65); C Dunford (0-02), B O’Sullivan (0-01), S Walsh (0-01).

Subs: P Prendergast for Connors (5), R Foley (0-01) for Nagle (41), M Shanahan for Dunford (45), S Molumphy for B O’Sullivan (47), S Prendergast for Dillon (51).

Referee: J Ryan (Tipperary).