Limerick manager John Kiely admitted he did not see the incident that led the Peter Casey being sent-off in his side's All-Ireland hurling semi-final victory over Waterford, but did not rule out launching an appeal against it.

Kiely's men were in control for nearly all of the game and ran out 1-25 to 0-17 winners over the Déise at Croke Park to set up back-to-back final appearances.

The only real blot on the copybook for Limerick was the dismissal of Casey midway through the second-half for what appeared to be appeared to be an off-the-ball head/helmet butt on Conor Gleeson.

That card could potentially rule Casey out of the final against Kilkenny or Cork but, like many in the stadium, Kiely admitted that he had not seen the incident.

"I haven’t seen it but I’m looking forward to seeing it," he told RTÉ Sport. "It just seems completely out of character for Peter, that wouldn’t be in his make-up at all as a player.

"I do know that from talking to Peter that there was a clash of heads alright, yes. But nothing malicious or nothing of any significance, really.

"But, at the same time, you have to be very, very careful. Especially when you're in that position."

Kiely did not rule out an appeal, however, and will hope that video replays offer enough grounds to make one.

"It depends on what we see," he said. "We’ll have to hopefully get our hands on it (the footage) shortly, have a look at it and see.

"We'll just take a day or two and reflect and see what the picture looks like and take it from there. But I think at the minute we can probably take it that he won't be with us."

Despite the red card the Limerick manager was, for the most part, happy with what he saw at HQ.

"The lads did well, they worked themselves well into the game and created lots of scoring chances," he said.

"We still have a bit of room for improvement there but we'll go after that in the next two weeks.

"From the work-rate point of view it was close to where we’d like to have it but it wasn’t quite there, so we have a bit of work to do there as well.

"But over all I’m happy with the performance, happy with the way we controlled the game at times and we just used the ball really well I thought, throughout the game."

Kiely was particularly pleased with Aaron Gillane's 54th-minute goal, which came from a blocked Waterford sideline.

He said: "I suppose the goal came from our work-rate, really. The pressure we put on in that particular area. I was really pleased with the directness of our running and the support that came on to support the person. A great finish.

"It was most pleasing first of all that we got the possession out of sheer work-rate."

Kiely also paid tribute to goalkeeper Nicky Quaid and his backline, who kept out a Waterford side that had scored an average of two goals per game this summer.

"Not to concede a goal today was really a significant achievement for our defence," said Kiely.

"I won't say it was a goal as such, but it was a tremendous reward for the quality of our defending today.

"Nicky was very solid tonight, really solid as was our defence. Every time Waterford had a goal chance that might have been about to be created, we snuffed it out really quickly.

"I’m really happy with that, I thought our defence was really solid and that’s reflected on the scoreboard."

We need your consent to load this YouTube contentWe use YouTube to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Watch Kilkenny v Cork live on RTÉ2 or RTÉ Player from 2.30pm Sunday.

Watch highlights of all the weekend's action on The Sunday Game at 9.30pm on RTÉ2.

Listen to live and exclusive national radio commentary on RTÉ Radio 1's Sunday Sport.