Dublin will share the Division 1 title with Kerry after an entertaining 1-18 to 1-14 win over Donegal in their semi-final at Kingspan Breffni Park.

No final was due to take place if both, or even one, of those involved in championship action in two weeks' time - Donegal and Kerry - made it through in their respective semi-finals, and with the Kingdom defeating Tyrone earlier in the day that meant joint winners.

The reigning All-Ireland champions took a little while to warm to the contest but once they got ahead they always looked comfortable.

Donegal made six changes from the programme team while Dublin made two. Peadar Ó Cofaigh Byrne and Paddy Small came in for Dublin with Brian Howard going to centre half-back.

Odhrán McFadden Ferry was back in the starting line-up for Donegal for the first time while there were first starts also for Ethan O'Donnell and Odhrán Mac Niallais.

Both sides were cagey in possession as Donegal went two points ahead in three minutes through Michael Langan and Niall O’Donnell.

Con O’Callaghan got Dublin off the mark on nine minutes. Patrick McBrearty, from a forward mark, kept the lead at two but by the 16 minute-mark Cormac Costello had Dublin back on terms at 0-04 each.

The Donegal goal had a lucky escape in the opening minutes when Michael Langan was turned over and Niall Scully saw Donegal 'keeper Shaun Patton marooned between the 20m and 40m lines but his effort drifted just wide.

Caolan McGonagle had Donegal a point ahead at the first-half water break but Dublin were much slicker in the second quarter with Ciaran Kilkenny and Con O’Callaghan hitting two quick points before another Donegal turnover was punished this time as Paddy Small got in for a goal.

Caolan McGonagle responded for Donegal but Dublin were still 1-08 to 0-07 ahead at the break.

Eoghan McGettigan celebrates his goal for Donegal

Dublin had a purple patch at the start of the second half with three points in three minutes from Sean McMahon, Brian Fenton and Ciaran Kilkenny, but McBrearty responded with three for Donegal.

McGonagle created a good goal chance for Oisin Gallen but Evan Comerford got down to stop while Niall Scully was almost through at the other end. At the second half-water break Dublin had stretched the lead and were 1-14 to 0-10 ahead.

Paddy Small pushed the Dubs further ahead but Brendan McCole had a great goal chance for Donegal. However, he blazed over as the game trundled to its inevitable conclusion.

Donegal did get a late goal when substitute Eoghan McGettigan dummied and fired home to put a better gloss on the final scoreboard.

Donegal: Shaun Patton; Eoin McHugh, Stephen McMenamin, Brendan McCole (0-01); Ryan McHugh, Odhrán McFadden Ferry, Ethan O'Donnell; Caolan McGonagle (0-02), Hugh McFadden; Ciaran Thompson, Odhrán Mac Niallais (0-01), Niall O'Donnell (0-01); Patrick McBrearty (0-06, 0-01m, 0-02fs), Michael Langan (0-02), Oisin Gallen.

Subs: Conor O'Donnell for Mac Niallais (29); Caolan Ward for McMenamin (ht); Eoghan McGettigan (1-01) for Gallen (53), Eunan Doherty for McFadden Ferry (53); Dáire Ó Baoill for N O'Donnell (56), Jason McGee for H McFadden (56), Tony McClenaghan for E McHugh (63).

Dublin: Evan Comerford; Michael Fitzsimons, David Byrne, Sean McMahon (0-01); Eoin Murchan, Brian Howard (0-01), James McCarthy; Brian Fenton (0-01), Peadar Ó Cofaigh Byrne; Colm Basquel, Ciaran Kilkenny (0-02), Niall Scully; Paddy Small (1-03, 0-01m), Con O'Callaghan (0-03), Cormac Costello (0-06,0-05fs, 0-01’45’).

Subs: Eric Lowndes for Murchan (ht); Sean Bugler for Basquel (49); Tom Lahiff for O Cofaigh Byrne (53), Aaron Byrne (0-01) for Scully (53); Philip McMahon for Fitzsimons (61), Conor McHugh for Kilkenny (61); Shane Carthy for P Small (67).

Referee: Ciaran Brannigan (Down).