Tyrone 0-16 Cavan 3-07

Tyrone and Cavan will meet again on 3 July after their gripping Ulster SFC semi-final finished level at Clones.

David Givney and Conor Moynagh scored goals that sent Cavan in with a 2-3 to 0-8 interval lead, with Ronan O’Neill hitting three Tyrone points.

Cavan led by three midway through the second half, but the Red Hands took control, hitting scores through Sean Cavanagh, Mattie Donnelly, Connor McAliskey, Niall Sludden to lead by three.

But Givney punched home his second goal in stoppage time to tie it up.

Tyrone had chances to steal the win at the death but couldn't convert.

Cavan stunned the favourites in front of a crowd of 19,141 with goals at either end of the opening half.

Just five minutes had elapsed when Givney finished from close range after goalkeeper Mickey O’Neill had kept out Martin Reilly’s effort.

The energy of Reilly and Dara McVeety was causing immense problems for a Tyrone side struggling to get its running game going in difficult underfoot conditions, and the Breffni men moved into a 1-3 to 0-2 lead after Tomas Corr and Cian Mackey both landed points in response to scores from Cathal McShane and McAliskey.

Terry Hyland’s match-ups were carefully constructed and proved supremely effective in the opening 20 minutes, but the Red Hands began to vary their approach and found openings for a sustained spell of pressure in the second quarter.

O’Neill clipped over a couple of frees, Peter Harte broke a couple of tackles to tag on a point, and it was Colm Cavanagh who gave Tyrone the lead for the first time in the 32nd minute.

Givney was always a danger under the long, high ball, but the Red Hands survived a series of route one raids, until stoppage time.

Goalkeeper Raymond Galligan floated a free from 70 metres into the danger area, Gearoid McKiernan added value with the fist, and Moynagh forced the ball over the line at the far post.

It was only after the referee’s attention had been drawn by an eagle-eyed umpire that the ball had crossed the line that the goal was awarded, and the Breffni men went in with a 2-3 to 0-8 lead.

The Donnelly brothers, Richie and Mattie, both fired over points in the early stages of the second half to trim back the deficit, but the discipline of Cavan’s defending was admirable and they frustrated the Red Hands for a spell, before going back on the attack.

Givney fired in a shot that was blocked out for a ’45 which Galligan converted, and they led by three when the tireless McVeety took Corr’s return pass to hit the target.

But Tyrone once again seized control, to reel off six points, regain the lead and place themselves on the cusp of victory.

Mattie Donnelly was a powerhouse in the engine-room, Sludden pushed into an offensive role, and both players thumped over points as the Red Hand machine began to purr.

Sean Cavanagh and McAliskey also landed quality scores, and they were denied a goal when Galligan pulled off a terrific save from Padraig McNulty, but Darren McCurry converted the resultant ’45 to put three points between the sides with almost 70 minutes on the clock.

Cavan desperately needed a goal, and they struck gold again in stoppage time when Mackey crossed from the right to punch home and send a cliff-hanger to a rematch.

Tyrone: M O’Neill, A McCrory, R McNamee, C McCarron, T McCann, N Sludden (0-01), P Harte (0-01), C Cavanagh (0-01), M Donnelly (0-02), C McShane (0-01), M Bradley, R Donnelly (0-01), C McAliskey (0-02), S Cavanagh (0-01), R O’Neill (0-05 3f).

Subs: R Brennan for Bradley, C Meyler for McShane, D McCurry (0-01, ’45) for R Donnelly, P McNulty for McAliskey

Cavan: R Galligan (0-01, ’45), K Brady, K Clarke, R Dunne, F Flanagan (0-01), C Moynagh (1-00), N Murray (0-01), T Corr (0-01), G McKiernan, D McVeety (0-01), J McEnroe, M Reilly, D Givney (2-00), C Mackey (0-01), S Johnston (0-01, f).

Subs: E Keating for Johnston, P Faulkner for Clarke, C Brady for K Brady, J Brady for Moynagh

Referee: D Gough (Meath).