Galway 2-19 Tipperary 1-22

John O’Dwyer hit a brilliant point four minutes into added time to clinch a draw for Tipperary after Joe Canning looked to have won it for Galway with a sideline cut seconds earlier in the Allianz HL Division 1A.

Goals either side of half-time from Joe Canning and Iarla Tannian should have given Galway the win at Pearse Stadium as they recovered well form Niall O’Meara’s early goal, but a draw was probably the fair result.

The share of the spoils does little to ease either team’s relegation worries, but they will both have to better each other’s result next weekend to avoid the relegation play-off.

Galway were slow to come out of the blocks in Salthill as Tipperary worked their way into a 1-03 to 0-01 lead after seven minutes.

The goal came from Niall O’Meara in the third minute after Noel McGrath scooped the ball into his possession after some sloppy play at the back from Galway.

But after that Galway did settle and after Conor Whelan hit the side-netting from a tight angle, Galway pulled within two points as Jason Flynn and Canning pointed from play before Canning found his range with hit first free in the 13th minute.

Their inability to secure primary possession from their own puckouts hampered Galway hugely before half-time as the Tipperary half-back line – led brilliantly by Ronan Maher – lorded it over their hosts.

The same was true at midfield as Brendan Maher and Micheal Breen were in great form and the duo split four points between in a strong opening 35 minutes.

Five points in a row had Tipperary well in front by the 28th minute as John and Noel McGrath both scored from play, but Galway put in a huge finish to the half to close the gap to just a point at the interval.

Flynn started the run in injury-time with a fine point from play, but Canning’s 37th minute goal trumped all that came before it.

 An accurate crossfield pass from Aidan Harte picked out Big Joe on the 45 metre line and after he shook off Barry Heffernan and Ronan Maher he rattled the roof of the net with a powerful shot that made it 1-10 to 1-09 at half-time.

A minute after the break Galway were level when Canning pointed a free, and they took the lead for the first time in the 42nd minute when Flynn set up Tannian for a goal that somehow found the bottom corner of Darren Gleeson’s net.

Tipp were quick to reply though and after O’Dwyer and Adrian Ryan pointed, and Canning replied with a fine individual effort off his stick on the run, Tipperary pulled ahead again when John McGrath and Cathal Barrett hit points in quick succession.

Tipperary were denied three goals in the space of four minutes as James Skehill twice blocked shots from O’Dwyer and Breen dropped the sliotar as he bore down on goal,

Niall Burke them found the target twice at the other end Galway looked set for the win.

However Barry Heffernan and Noel McGrath levelled the game in injury-time for Tipp, before Canning struck a wonderful sideline cut that looked certain to have given Galway the win in the 74th minute.

The drama did not end there as O'Dwyer landed the leveller from wide on the right seconds later to give Tipperary a deserved draw.