Dr McKenna Cup holders Tyrone are on the verge of another semi-final appearance after a 1-16 to 4-6 win over Derry at Owenbeg.

Ryan Bell netted two penalties, and there were also goals from Benny Heron and Mark Craig for the home side, who led by nine points at one stage.

Patrick Quinn hit a Tyrone goal, and points from Richie Donnelly, Peter Harte and Connor McAliskey pushed the Red Hands towards the finish line, despite Craig’s late goal.

In Section B, St Mary’s shocked Donegal at Letterkenny with a late Ryan Johnston goal.

Jack Grogan hit the net for the students in the first half, and it was level at the break, 0-6 to 1-2, with Odhran Mac Niallais the main marksman for the home side.

But it was St Mary’s who were able to find the golden touch in the closing stages.

Former All-Ireland-winning Down boss Pete McGrath returned to haunt the Mourne men, guiding Fermanagh to a 0-14 to 0-7 win at Newry.

Sean Quigley hit seven points, with Tomás Corrigan scoring three as the Erne men strode to a deserved victory.

They led by 0-8 to 0-4 at half-time, with Sean Dornan, Darragh O’Hanlon and Conor Maginn on target for the home side.

Armagh produced a superb second-half display to overhaul Monaghan in Section C, winning by 0-16 to 2-9 at Clones.

Barry McGinn’s goal gave the Farney men a 1-6 to 0-7 interval lead, and Owen Duffy’s three-pointer had them ahead by 2-7 to 0-8.

But the Orchard men stepped up the tempo, and points from Ethan Rafferty, Rory Grugan, Gavin McParland and Stefan Forker helped them take both points and keep alive their hopes of qualification for the semi-finals.

Cavan picked up their second win, beating UUJ by 3-14 to 0-9 at Kingspan Breffni Park.

Substitute Paul O’Connor (2) and Enda Henry were the first-half goalscorers as the home side took a firm grip on the game.

Points from Jack Brady, Enda O’Reilly and Niall McDermott kept them in control, and there was a high-profile return for Seanie Johnston, who came on as a 60th-minute sub for his first Cavan appearance since 2011.