All-Ireland champions Dublin drew with Wexford, with wins elsewhere for DCU, Offaly, Kildare, Meath, Laois, Westmeath and Longford in the Bord na Móna O’Byrne Cup.

In Enniscorthy Dublin and Wexford shared the spoils on a 2-06 to 0-12 scoreline.

Gavin, who afterwards confirmed full-back Rory O'Carroll will not be a part of this year's panel as he is emigrating to New Zealand, fielded an experimental side.

David Power’s charges got off to an impressive start, with goals from Ben Brosnan and Adrian Flynn helping them to a 2-01 to 0-01 lead after 12 minutes.

The visitors' scoring opportunities were rare, with Dean Rock's 11th-minute penalty saved by Wexford keeper Anthony Masterson. Wexford had lost midfielder Glen Malone at this stage to a black card.

Scores were at a premium over the remainder of the opening half, with Wexford outscoring their opponents by three points to two, as they claimed a 2-05 to 0-04 interval lead.

Dublin responded well on the restart, with seven unanswered points including scores from Rock (0-06), Cormac Costello and Con O’Callaghan.

Rock levelled the tie with a 66th-minute point, and although substitute PJ Banville put Wexford ahead with their only score of the half late on, Rock equalised again with a monster score.

DCU claimed a 3-20 to 2-06 win over fellow students IT Carlow at the Carlow GAA Centre of Excellence.

DCU led by 1-06 to 0-05 at half-time, but turned it up a gear in the second half.

Offaly were 0-13 to 1-09 winners over Louth in Drogheda. The hosts bagged the only goal of the game from Jim McEnaney inside three minutes of the restart.

McEnaney and Colm Judge kept the pressure on, but the visitors held out for victory.

Cian O'Neill got his Kildare reign off to a wining start as they recorded a 0-24 to 1-07 win over DIT, with Adam Tyrrell scoring nine points. 

Kildare led by 0-11 to 1-04 at half-time with Conor Madden netting the only goal of the game in the opening quarter for the students.

Meath were impressive in their 1-18 to 1-04 win over Carlow at Netwatch Cullen Park.

The Royals trailed by 0-03 to 0-02 early on, but fired seven unanswered points to lead by 0-09 to 0-03 at half-time.

The visitors scored all bar one point of their first-half tally from play, and moved 1-10 to 0-03 clear early after the restart.

Benny Kavanagh netted for Carlow in the 47th minute, but Meath had done enough. 

A 62nd-minute point from Rory O’Connor saw Laois earn a 1-10 to 1-09 win over UCD at Park/Ratheniska.

This game was tight throughout, with UCD shading a 0-06 to 0-04 interval scoreline.

The contest upped in intensity on the restart, with UCD pushing 1-07 to 0-04 ahead thanks to a goal from Offaly’s Luke Kelly.

Laois stormed back thanks to an Jamie Farrell goal, with the game tight in the closing stages, before O’Connor’s late winner.

Westmeath worked hard to claim a 1-14 to 0-13 away win over Wicklow in Bray Emmets.

The visitors led by 0-09 to 0-06 at half-time, but moved five points clear on the restart thanks to a John Connellan goal and never looked back.

Robbie Smyth and David McGivney bagged five points each as Longford claimed a 0-18 to 1-09 win over Maynooth University in Ballymahon.

Longford led throughout, with Laois’s Evan O'Carroll netting the games only goal in the 23rd minute for the students.