The new Roscommon team management of Kevin McStay and Fergal O’Donnell made a winning start as they ousted IT Sligo by 1-20 to 0-10 in the FBD League.

Kieran Kilcline blasted the only goal of the game as the reigning FBD League champions took a 1-12 to 0-03 lead at half-time.

The sides were tied at 0-02 apiece after ten minutes but Roscommon took off and hit 1-09 without reply.

The students lacked the inter-county experience to keep up and five of the Roscommon starting forwards bagged scores before the break.

Kilcline was on the end of a well-worked move to flick to the net in the 16th minute and put them 1-05 to 0-02 in charge.

IT Sligo centre-back Eamon McGrath was black-carded just before the break but they never gave up after the restart, despite the difference in class.

Roscommon never looked like getting caught, with Ciaran Murtagh shooting 0-06 as they made an impressive start under their new management team.

Mayo’s new manager also made a winning start, but it was a much closer affair in Castlebar where a crowd of 2,390 saw Stephen Rochford’s men hold out for a 1-12 to 1-10 win over NUIG.

The Connacht champions looked set for an easy win when Kevin McLoughlin found the net after 42 minutes, and points from Conor Loftus and Colm Boyle opened up a five-point lead after the students had led by 0-07 to 0-06 at the interval.

Ironically, it was a couple of players from Mayo - the younger of the three O’Shea brothers, Conor, along with Adam Gallagher - leading the charge.

A goal from a penalty from Gallagher ensured a nervous finish for Rochford’s men, but they held on for a narrow win.

Galway recorded a 2-09 to 0-12 victory over Sligo at Tuam Stadium.

The home side led by double scores at half-time, with a well-worked goal from Damien Comer after ten minutes helping them to a 1-07 to 0-05 lead at the interval.

Galway were full of running and picked off some excellent scores, with all six forwards scoring from play in the opening half for an under-strength side.

Sligo manager Niall Carew also experimented and they kept in touch with fine scores from midfielder Niall Murphy and Pat Hughes.

Galway extended their lead with points from Adrian Varley and Johny Heaney, but good efforts from Joe Rodgers, Eoin McHugh and Murphy cut the gap for Sligo.

But a scrambled goal from Galway sub Enda Tierney killed off the comeback when he found the net after 47 minutes.

However, Sligo never gave up and Niall Murphy, who finished with 0-06, kept them in touch, but they were unable to bridge the gap at the end of an entertaining contest.

Leitrim’s clash with GMIT was switched to the Connacht GAA Centre of Excellence and a 2-02 contribution from Nevin O’Donnell and 0-05 from the returning Emlyn Mulligan helped them to a commanding 2-09 to 0-04 interval lead.

Thomas Mulvey got Leitrim’s third goal as they continued to dominate the second half, with Andy Glennon finding the net for the students in the closing stages as Leitrim cantered home by 3-16 to 1-06.