James Horan has dismissed speculation that he is to return as manager of the Mayo senior footballers, but current Corofin boss Stephen has indicated his "interest" in the post. 

Horan spent four seasons in charge of the Connacht county, guiding them to two All-Ireland final appearances, before stepping down at the end of the 2014 season.

However, he did reveal that he fleetingly did think about putting his name forward following the departure of Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes last month.

Speaking in today's Irish Daily Star, he said: "When the vacancy came up, I thought about it, but decided very quickly that I wouldn't be letting my name go forward.

"I was very privileged to hold the position for four years and work with a brilliant bunch of players. I thoroughly enjoyed that honour and that position.

"But I'm working with different teams in different codes, enjoying learning more about coaching and have a bit of catching up to do in everyday life too. I did media work this year and enjoyed that. I'm enjoying learning stuff about our games, and about different games." 

One that has been in the frame for the Mayo post is Corofin manager Stephen Rochford and reports over the weekend stated that he was putting together a backroom team. However, speaking after Corofin's win over Mohill in the Connacht club championship on Sunday, Rochford pointed out that his main focus as of now was in preparing Corofin for their clash with St Mary's of Sligo on 8 November.

Speaking to RTÉ Sport, he said: "I genuinely have had no contact with the Mayo board. Everybody is aware that the nominations opened last week. But again, and not to sound like a broken record, my focus has been on Corofin.

"As I have indicated in the past, it is something that would interest me and we'll probably know a lot more in the next seven days."