Former referee Barry Kelly has called on the GAA to make a decision around the controversial All-Ireland club football final rather than waiting for Glen Watty Grahams or Kilmacud Crokes to react.

It emerged after Kilmacud's two-point victory at Croke Park on Sunday that the Dublin side had had an extra man for the closing seconds, after Dara Mullin stayed on the pitch despite his number being called for substitution.

Having 16 players on the field is a breach of Rule 6.44, the penalties for which include the awarding of the game to the opposing team, for the game to be replayed, or a fine.

The rule states that a review of potential infractions of this rule can be instigated by appeal or an "inquiry by the committee in charge" but Glen said in a statement on Monday evening that the GAA had told them a review would only happen if they made an official objection.

The Derry and Ulster champions have yet to make a final decision on doing so, despite manager Malachy O'Rourke suggesting in the aftermath that they would accept the result.

Four-time All-Ireland hurling final referee Kelly believes a replay would be the fairest option and that the authorities have to take the matter in hand.

"It some ways it's a typical GAA reaction to a GAA issue because it looks like the onus is nearly on Glen to appeal this," he told RTÉ Sport.

"Maybe they [the GAA] are hoping Kilmacud will offer a replay. I have my doubts that will happen.

"That’s not how it should work. The CCCC [Central Competitions Control Committee] or whoever should look at this and decide if there is a case to answer, and there does seem to be a straightforward case that the player who was due to go off was a significant impediment to Conor Glass.

"The player due to go off was on the goal-line and it [a shot from Glass] very nearly went in. He was the nearest man who would have stopped it.

"If a replay was ordered, I don't think many people would be overly unhappy about it. Otherwise you might as well take the rule out of the rulebook.

"Two of the elements of the rule that I don't think should apply here are the fine and Kilmacud forfeiting the game."

Barry Kelly

Kelly also sympathised with the officials involved and suggested that action was needed the to ensure the impression is not given that the rule can be circumvented.

"I would feel sorry for [linesman] James Molloy and [sideline official] John Gilmartin, who were on that side," he said.

"People on the outside looking in might say 'How can that happen?' but in the heat of the moment it can happen very easily.

"This is the highest club game in the country and elements of the GAA will be watching this closely. What is there to stop a team sneaking on a guy at intermediate or junior level later on in the year in some club championship game, knowing that it won’t be an issue?"

On Monday evening, Wexford announced that their Walsh Cup final clash with Galway would be rolled into the sides' Allianz Hurling League meeting on 4 February rather than a separate game at Croke Park this Saturday, which could potentially allow a refixed club football final to take that 3pm slot before the Dublin footballers face Kildare.