Mayo manager James Horan admitted his team weren't able to deal with Dublin’s second half onslaught as they fell to a ten-point All-Ireland semi-final defeat.

The Green Above the Red produced a brilliant, controlled first half performance to lead by 0-08 to 0-06 at the break - the first time the Dubs had trailed at the break since the 2017 All-Ireland final.

But after the change of ends the five in-a-row chasing champions were simply untouchable with three goals steering them into their seventh All-Ireland final in nine seasons.

"A team like Dublin are always going to come at you and they really came at us," said Horan at the end of his first season back in charge following a four-year spell as boss between 2011 and ’15.

"We were on the ropes and we didn’t deal with it well. They ran at us from a lot of angles, got their tails up and it took us a while to adjust.

"They have such pace and athleticism all over the field - look at Con O’Callaghan getting the ball in his hands and running at his man. And then when you’re struggling on your own kick-outs legs start to get a big heavy.

"Our first half was pretty strong, we defended well, got a few scores, were patient, went in two points up and it could have been more. At the start of the second half they were very strong and came at us very hard.

"Con O’Callaghan got a goal, we put a ball into their goalkeeper’s hands, they came up the field, Lee (Keegan) slipped and they got a goal from it. They won the next five or six of our kick-outs and were in complete control.

"We were struggling to get our hands on possession and that was it."

Con O'Callaghan celebrates another goal for Dublin

Mayo played with real intensity and intent before the break and Horan says that it was the Dubs who were able to up the pace in the second half.

"I don't think they did anything dramatically different, nothing obvious. They pinned back their ears a bit and ran at us, and they hadn’t done that much in the first half. They got a step on us once or twice for the goals," said Horan, speaking to RTÉ Sport.

"We played well in the first half, a lot of the stuff we tried to do was good. We limited them, defended well and worked a few scored. But then they had that ten minute period after half-time."

In the 12 minutes after the break Mayo went from two points up to ten points down, shipping 2-06 without reply, bringing to an end another remarkable season that included seven championship games in the last eight weeks.

It was their eighth All-Ireland semi-final appearance, at least, in the past nine seasons, but their wait for Sam Maguire that stretches back to 1951 continues.