Rampant Roscommon surged past Cavan and into round 3B of the All-Ireland football qualifiers with a third quarter scoring burst to seal a 0-16 to 0-05 victory.

Just a point separated the sides at half-time following a dour opening at Kingspan Breffni Park in slippery, testing conditions.

But eight Roscommon points in a row after the restart effectively killed off the contest in front of 8,150 fans.

Enda Smith did most damage with four points from play while rising star and free-taker Diarmuid Murtagh kicked 0-05.

Cavan actually came into the game as slight favourites despite losing to the Rossies just weeks back at Croke Park.

That was in the Allianz League Division 3 final, and Roscommon won by 1-17 to 0-18, despite playing without their U-21 All-Ireland final panellists.

Young gun Murtagh was one of those who was available this time around and the St Faithleach's man opened the scoring.

But it took a whopping 17 minutes for that deadlock to be broken after a torrid opening.

Both sides were guilty of some horrendous misses and continued to be wasteful throughout the half.

Cathal Cregg put Roscommon 0-02 to 0-00 ahead after 22 minutes but he also shot three poor wides in the half, one from a routine 20-metre free.

It meant that just five scores were registered in the entire first-half though, crucially, Roscommon led 0-3 to 0-2.

Smith got Roscommon's third after a great solo run though a fine Eugene Keating effort close to half-time left the minimum in it.

Cavan, who dropped Martin Reilly back as an extra defender again, generally enjoyed less possession but did still rack up the wides.

They booted five in the first-half and the only consolation for them was that both their two points were fine long-range efforts from Keating and Reilly.

Roscommon ultimately put the game to bed with those eight points after the restart.

Smith was at the hub of the scoring spree with three of the points, all beauties from play.

Cregg kicked two as Roscommon moved into high gear and easily accelerated beyond Cavan into a winning position.

They led by 0-11 to 0-02 with 20 minutes to go and knew they'd set the seal on victory.

Roscommon: D O'Malley, S McDermott, N Carty, N Collins, D Keenan, N Daly, C Cafferkey, C Shine, K Higgins, D O'Gara, C Daly (0-02), E Smith (0-04), S Kilbride, C Cregg (0-03, 1f), D Murtagh (0-05, 3f).

Subs: R Stack for Keenan, D Smith (0-02) for O'Gara, M Nally for Daly, I Kilbride for Smith, M Finneran for Higgins, C Murtagh for D Murtagh.

Cavan: C Gilsenan, J McLoughlin, F Flanagan, K Brady, J Hayes, J McEnroe, R Maloney-Derham; M Argue (0-01), G McKiernan; D O'Reilly, M Lyng, N McDermott; J Brady, E Keating (0-01), M Reilly (0-02).

Subs: M McKeever for Hayes, D Givney for Lyng, P Tinnelly (0-01) for Maloney-Derham, T Mooney for McDermott, N Murray for Brady, T Corr for Argue.

Referee: B Cassidy (Derry)