skip to main content

US Democrats demand refunds after court ruling on Trump tariffs

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 20: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House on February 20, 2026 in Washington, DC. The U.S. Supreme Court on February 20 ruled against Trump's use of emergency powers to implement internatio
Donald Trump said he will impose a 10% global tariff for 150 days after the court ruling

A number of US Democrats are demanding that President Donald Trump issue refunds after the Supreme Court ruled his tariffs are illegal.

Illinois Governor JB Pritzker has sent Mr Trump an invoice demanding nearly $9 billion in tariff refunds for families in his state.

Mr Pritzker urged the White House to "cut" the cheque after justices ruled 6-3 that Mr Trump had exceeded his authority by invoking emergency powers to impose tariffs that reshaped global trade and pushed up prices at home.

"Your tariff taxes wreaked havoc on farmers, enraged our allies and sent grocery prices through the roof," Mr Pritzker wrote, warning further legal action could follow if compensation was not forthcoming.

Earlier Mr Trump said he will impose a 10% global tariff for 150 days to replace some of his emergency duties that were struck down by the Supreme Court.

In the letter, shared with US media, Govenor Pritzker demanded about $1,700 for every Illinois household, the amount Yale University experts said the average US household would pay on tariffs last year.

Mr Pritzker was not alone in seeking payback, both political and literal, for widespread consumer woes.

Earlier, California Governor Gavin Newsom said the money Mr Trump's tariffs had raised came from US voters' pockets and should be refunded.

"Time to pay the piper, Donald. These tariffs were nothing more than an illegal cash grab that drove up prices and hurt working families, so you could wreck longstanding alliances and extort them," he said.

"Every dollar unlawfully taken must be refunded immediately, with interest. Cough up!"

Mr Pritzker and Mr Newsom are widely seen as potential Democratic contenders in the 2028 presidential race.

Announced with fanfare last April, Mr Trump's tariffs have raised more than $130 billion from importers, with a significant proportion of that extra cost passed on to consumers through higher prices.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has expressed scepticism that ordinary Americans will see direct compensation.

The scale of potential repayments is vast. The influential Penn-Wharton Budget Model has estimated that refunds could total $175 billion, though it is unclear who would ultimately receive the money.

Mr Trump himself acknowledged that any refund process could take years.

That is a harsh shift for those who may have hoped for a tariff "dividend" check after repeatedly said last year that millions of Americans would get "a little rebate" because "we have so much money coming in".

In his dissent, Trump-appointed conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh noted the ruling "says nothing ... about whether, and if so how, the government should go about returning the billions of dollars that it has collected from importers."

New York's Democratic governor, Kathy Hochul, called the Trump administration's tariffs "an unlawful backdoor tax on hardworking families, farmers and small businesses, raising prices on everything from groceries to building materials", though she did not demand refunds.