skip to main content

Lawyers for Bolsonaro ask court to annul coup conviction

Jair Bolsonaro was tried and convicted by a five-member section of the Supreme Court
Jair Bolsonaro was tried and convicted by a five-member section of the Supreme Court

Lawyers for ex-Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro filed a new appeal requesting the annulment of his coup-plotting trial, which saw him sentenced to 27 years in prison.

The defence is requesting "the annulment of the criminal process" and that Bolsonaro be acquitted, according to a document seen by AFP, three days after the Supreme Court ordered Bolsonaro to begin serving his prison term.

Bolsonaro was tried and convicted by a five-member section of the Supreme Court. Now his lawyers are appealing to the full 11-member court for it to throw out his entire trial.

"The unfair conviction imposed on Jair Messias Bolsonaro," the defence petition says, "must be submitted for the scrutiny of the Full Chamber of the Federal Supreme Court so that, in the end, his innocence is recognised and declared."

It was not immediately clear if this appeal can proceed with a chance of success.

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL NOVEMBER 23: Demonstrators gather along Avenida Paulista for a 'BBQ & Samba' event celebrating the arrest of former President Jair Bolsonaro, in front of the MASP museum in Sao Paulo, Brazil on November 23, 2025. The crowd marked the moment with music, samba performances and commun
Demonstrators gather along Avenida Paulista celebrating the arrest of Jair Bolsonaro

The smaller court section that convicted Bolsonaro and rejected an initial appeal said all avenues for such challenges had been exhausted.

Bolsonaro, the brash former army captain who fired up Brazil's right and reshaped the country's politics, is ending a divisive career jailed at a police headquarters in Brasilia.

The 70-year-old was convicted in September over a scheme to stop Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva from taking office as president after winning the 2022 elections, which included an assassination plot.

Prosecutors said the scheme failed only due to a lack of support from military top brass.

Section number one of the Supreme Court rejected an appeal to his sentence earlier this month, and on Tuesday ruled the judgment was final.

Bolsonaro, who was president from 2019 to 2022, maintains that he is innocent and a victim of political persecution.

He has won support from US President Donald Trump, who has slammed a "witch hunt" of his ally and imposed sanctions and punitive tariffs on Brazil. Many of the tariffs have since been rolled back.

Bolsonaro is Brazil's fourth former president to be imprisoned since the end of the military dictatorship in 1985.