Irish teenager Nóra Quoirin died by "misadventure" after disappearing in the Malaysian jungle on a family holiday and no one else was involved, a coroner has ruled.

Nóra's mother, watching proceedings online, bowed her head as the verdict was delivered, with the coroner also saying there was no sign the girl was murdered or sexually assaulted.

The 15-year-old's body was discovered after a massive hunt through the rainforest following her disappearance from a resort outside Kuala Lumpur in 2019.

Nóra had a condition known as holoprosencephaly, where the brain fails to develop normally. She had limited verbal communication and could only write a few words.

Police insisted there was no foul play and an autopsy conducted in Malaysia found that she probably starved and died of internal bleeding after days in the jungle.

But her parents thought she was abducted, saying she would never have climbed out of the window of the chalet where they were staying in the middle of night, as authorities believe.

The search in 2019

However, following an inquest in Malaysia, Coroner Maimoonah Aid ruled she died by "misadventure".

"After hearing all the relevant evidence, I rule that there was no one involved in the death of Nóra Anne," she told a court in the city of Seremban.

"It is more probable than not that she died by misadventure."

The teen likely left the family accommodation "on her own and subsequently got lost," she said, handing down her ruling online due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Quoirin family said they are "utterly disappointed" after the coroner's verdict of death through misadventure.

Her family said: "Once again we see that justice struggles to support the most vulnerable in society - only engaging with special needs at a surface level - and not at the level that truly reflects children like Nóra.

"We believe we have fought not just for Nóra but in honour of all the special needs children in this world who deserve our most committed support and the most careful application of justice.

"This is Nora's unique legacy and we will never let it go."

Nora's mother Meabh speaks over a loud speaker in 2019

Her relatives recognised there was no physical evidence to aid the coroner.

"Nonetheless, we are utterly disappointed by the coroner's verdict of misadventure.

"We witnessed 80 slides presented to the court today, none of which engaged with who Nóra really was - neither her personality nor her intellectual abilities.

"The verdict focused exclusively on physical evidence and physical mobility, which we believe, presents a very incomplete/select theory on how Nóra came about her death."

The schoolgirl's body was found in a stream in the jungle near the resort after a ten-day hunt that included hundreds of rescuers, helicopters and sniffer dogs.

The coroner took two hours to deliver the verdict, going through the testimony from more than 40 witnesses that was presented during the inquest from late August to December.

As well as saying there was no evidence to support the theories of homicide or sexual assault, she decided against an "open verdict", something that Nóra's family had pushed for.

Instead, the coroner focused on the fact the family were likely exhausted after a long journey from Britain and activities at the Dusun resort on the day of their arrival in August 2019.

"The family (were) all jet-lagged and tired," she said. "Nóra Anne had also shown her level of tiredness increase."

This made it likely that the teen, in a "strange and new place", had wandered out of the family's accommodation of her own accord on their first night at the resort, she said.

She also noted the teenager's mother said that she was capable of climbing stairs on her own, suggesting she could have got out of their chalet by herself.

During the inquest, Nóra's parents said they heard mysterious "muffled noises" coming from the accommodation the night of the schoolgirl's disappearance, fuelling their belief she was snatched.

In their testimony, police had reiterated their view the teen had wandered off alone and defended their approach, insisting a thorough search was conducted.

But her parents, who testified via video-link from Britain, painted a different picture, strongly criticising authorities for their response to their daughter's disappearance.