The mother of an Irish teenager who was found dead in the Malaysian jungle has told an inquest the police response to her disappearance while on holiday had been slow and ineffective.

The body of 15-year-old Nóra Quoirin was discovered last year after a massive hunt through the rainforest.

Authorities insist there was no foul play but her parents, Meabh and Sebastien Quoirin, believe Nóra, who had learning difficulties, was abducted as she would not have wandered off alone.

Testifying at the inquest into her daughter's death, Meabh Quoirin said she "immediately panicked" after realising Nóra was missing from the resort where their family were staying near Malaysia's border with Thailand.

"I became increasingly stressed. The first thought that ran through my mind was that Nóra had been taken," she said via video-link.

Staff at the Dusun Resort began searching for Nóra, who was discovered missing from a chalet the day after arriving at the resort, and informed the police.

In the afternoon, a police officer arrived at the resort, but Meabh Quoirin, who is unable to attend the inquest in person due to the coronavirus, said he "didn't spend very much time there".

"He had a dog with him and we were initially hopeful - and then absolutely distraught because it was very obvious that this dog was not fit for purpose ... really old, really tired."

Ms Quoirin said a policewoman sent to interview her had a poor command of English and authorities did not want to continue searching after dark on the first day of the hunt, although they eventually agreed.

As the hunt dragged on for days, the search and rescue team expanded to include hundreds of personnel.

But Ms Quoirin said she became worried the police were not taking the family's concerns about criminal involvement in the case seriously, noting that officials did not take fingerprints from their chalet for days.

Police, however, say they conducted a thorough probe and insisted at the start of the inquest in August there was no indication that Nóra was kidnapped.

Nóra's body was eventually found ten days after she disappeared, not far from the resort.

An autopsy found that she had probably starved and died of internal bleeding after spending about a week in the rainforest, but her family pushed for the inquest, which is expected to continue into December.