A British teenager has been found guilty of lying about being gang-raped in Cyprus.

The 19-year-old was convicted of a single count of public mischief at Famagusta District Court in Paralimni.

She claimed she was attacked by up to 12 Israeli tourists in an Ayia Napa hotel on 17 July before making a retraction statement ten days later.

The woman insisted in court that she was raped but had been pressured into changing her account by Cypriot police.

But she nodded her head slightly as she was found guilty, showing no other emotion until after Judge Michalis Papathanasiou adjourned sentencing to 7 January.

The judge said the teenager did not tell the truth and had tried to deceive the court with "convenient" and "evasive" statements.

He said she told investigators she made up the claims because she felt "ashamed" after finding out some of the Israelis had filmed her having sex on their mobile phones.

Following the verdict, she argued with her lawyers, saying "I thought you were asking for a fine", after Ritsa Pekri asked the judge to impose a suspended sentence, saying that she was under strong psychological pressure at the time.

The woman was a week into a working holiday before starting university when she alleged she was raped by the group of young Israeli men.

All 12 Israelis arrested over the alleged attack returned home after they were released.

The woman spent more than a month in prison before she was granted bail at the end of August and has not been allowed to leave the island.

She is still on bail and could face up to a year in jail and a €1,700 fine when she is sentenced.

The teenager was mobbed by photographers and camera operators as she left court with her mother.

Both wore white scarves around their faces depicting lips sewn together - brought by protesters from the Network Against Violence Against Women, who filled the court and demonstrated outside.

The teenager and her mother left the building as defence lawyer Nicoletta Charalambidou told reporters that they plan to appeal against the verdict.

"The decision of the court is respected," she said. "However, we respectfully disagree with it.

"We believe there have been many violations of the procedure and the rights of a fair trial of our client have been violated.

"We are planning to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court, and if justice fails ... we are planning to take our case to the European Court of Human Rights."

Michael Polak, a lawyer from the Justice Abroad group, which is assisting the teenager, said: "Although the defence team is very disappointed with the decision of the court, having put a lot of effort into the lengthy trial process and after bringing expert evidence before the court, we are not surprised by the result given the frequent refusal during the trial of the judge to consider evidence which supported the fact that the teenager had been raped.

"Shutting down questioning from our Cypriot advocates and the production of evidence into the trial on a handful of occasions the judge stridently stated 'this is not a rape case, I will not consider whether she was raped or not'.

"We have found it incredibly difficult to follow this logic given that an essential element of the offence is for there to be a 'false statement concerning an imaginary offence' and therefore, clearly if the teenager was raped, she cannot be guilty.

"This will form a ground of appeal before the Supreme Court of Cyprus along with a number of other failings in the trial process which resulted in the teenager not receiving a fair trial before the District Court as guaranteed by Cypriot law as well as both European Community law and European Human Rights law."