A Saudi Arabian delegation has arrived in Turkey today for talks on the disappearance of a journalist last seen entering the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul, according to Turkish diplomatic sources.
The two nations are at odds over a planned search by the Turkish authorities consulate where Jamal Khashoggi disappeared last week.
The Saudi journalist and The Washington Post contributor vanished on 2 October after entering the consulate to obtain documents ahead of his upcoming marriage.
Saudi authorities agreed on Tuesday to let Turkish authorities search the Saudi mission as part of the investigation into the disappearance of Mr Khashoggi, 59.
However the search has not yet taken place.
Pro-government Turkish daily Sabah said this was because Saudi officials would only allow a superficial "visual" probe.
The Turkish side did not accept the offer and Sabah said officials wanted to search the building with luminol, a chemical that allows the discovery of blood traces.
Yesterday a spokesman for Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said a joint working group would be set up to solve the mystery over the disappearance.
Turkish government sources say police believe he was killed inside the building, but Saudi Arabia has rejected such claims as "baseless" and insisted Khashoggi left the consulate safely.
Mr Erdogan has called on Riyadh to prove Mr Khashoggi left, challenging Saudi Arabia to provide CCTV images to back up its account.
Officers were looking into sound recordings sent from a smart watch that Mr Khashoggi was wearing when he was inside the consulate to a mobile phone which he gave to his Turkish fiancee waiting outside, Hatice Cengiz.
While Milliyet daily reported that "arguments and shouting" could be heard on the recordings, Sozcu newspaper said that only "some conversations" could be heard.
Pro-government daily Yeni Safak reported that police were also investigating the possibility that Mr Khashoggi's body was taken via the sewage system.
Mr Khashoggi, a Saudi national living in the United States since September 2017 fearing arrest, criticised some policies of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman as well as Riyadh's intervention in the war in Yemen.