More than 100 people were killed after a a Boeing 737 passenger plane crashed shortly after take off in Cuba, according to the country's state media.

There were three seriously injured survivors among the 114 passengers and crew, Cuban president Miguel Diaz-Canel said.

The aircraft, on a domestic flight to Holguin in eastern Cuba, crashed after take off from Havana, Cuban state-run media reported. There were 105 passengers, including five children, and nine crew members.

The fire from the crash had been put out and authorities were identifying bodies, President Diaz-Canel said, adding that authorities were investigating the cause of the crash.

Emergency services at the scene of the crash

Wreckage was strewn over the area 20km south of Havana, a Reuters witness said, and blackened parts of the fuselage were visible.

"We heard an explosion and then saw a big cloud of smoke go up," said a man who works near the crash site.

Carlos Alberto Martinez, the director of Havana's Calixto Garcia hospital, told Reuters that four victims of the accident had been brought there. One had died and three others, all women, were in a serious condition, he said.

"She is alive but very burnt and swollen," said a distressed relative of one of the survivors at the hospital.

The flight was leased by airline Cubana from a small Mexican airline called Damojh or Global, Cuban state media said. Holguin has some of the island's most pristine beaches, and attracts tourists.

Cubana declined to comment. A Damojh representative in Mexico said, "we are gathering what we can to give correct information."

The nationality of those on board was not immediately clear. State media said that the crew were foreign, but provided no further details.

Flight tracking websites indicated the flight was CU972, departing Havana at 11am local time.

The Mexican government said on its website that the plane was a Boeing 737-201 built in 1979, making it around 39-years-old.

Boeing Co said in a Twitter post: "We are aware of news reports out of Cuba and are closely monitoring the situation."