Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry has said that preliminary findings show a deadly fire last month was caused by a short circuit, the RIA news agency reported, quoting a ministry spokesman.

The blaze at the Winter Cherry shopping centre, in the city of Kemerovo, killed more than 60 people, prompting public anger and the resignation of the region’s governor.

Some parents lost all their children in the fire on 25 March. The youngest victim was a two-year-old toddler.

Many people whose relatives died said they lost their lives because of the inaction of firefighters and police lacking the necessary equipment and skills.

Officials said that multiple safety rules were violated, the fire alarm system was not working and staff did not follow correct emergency procedures.