Eleven people have been arrested by police investigating the attempted murder of a senior detective in Northern Ireland.

PSNI Detective Chief Inspector John Caldwell was shot multiple times at a sports complex in Omagh, Co Tyrone, in February in an attack linked to dissident republicans.

Nine men and two women, aged between 21 and 72 years old, were arrested this morning under the Terrorism Act in Omagh and Coalisland in Co Tyrone.

The PSNI said it had carried out a "significant search and arrest operation".

The suspects have been taken to the PSNI's serious crime suite in Musgrave police station in Belfast for questioning.

At a press conference in Belfast, PSNI Detective Chief Superintendent Eamonn Corrigan said a total of 28 arrests had been made to date in the investigation, comprising 21 individuals.

He said seven of the 11 people detained today had been previously arrested as part of the probe into Mr Caldwell's attempted murder.

Mr Corrigan made a specific appeal for information about a number of vehicles involved in the attack and new CCTV and photos of several vehicles - a Mercedes C-Class and two Ford Fiestas used by the gunmen and their accomplices on the night of the shooting, and in the lead-up to it - were released.

Officers believe the black Mercedes Benz C-Class (W204) four-door saloon (2007/8 - 2014) was used as an operational vehicle by the New IRA both before and immediately after the attack to transport the gunmen and others away from the site of a burned-out Ford Fiesta in Raculpa Road, referred to as Fiesta One.

The black Mercedes Benz C-Class

Mr Corrigan appealed for information about who was in the Mercedes, where it was before the shooting and where it went afterwards. He said it travelled in a convoy with the two blue Ford Fiestas on the Drumnakilly Road headed towards Omagh at 5.43pm on the evening of the shooting.

Fiesta One pictured leaving Barrack Street in Coalisland

A new photograph of Fiesta One shows it leaving Barrack Street in Coalisland at 4.55pm on the afternoon of the shooting and travelling to Omagh. It had registration number MGZ 6242 and was fitted with false plates, FRZ 8414, prior to the attack.

Police say the vehicle left the sports complex and turned left onto the Killyclogher Road immediately after the shooting. It then travelled past Glendale service station to the Racolpa Road, where it was abandoned and set on fire. Police believe it travelled into Coalisland around 10pm on the previous night, 21 February.

The new image of Fiesta Two, registration number RLZ 9805, with a missing alloy hubcap shows it at 2pm at Tamnamore Park and Ride on the day of the shooting.

Fiesta Two was later found burned out

Police appealed for information on where it travelled to from there before being burned out in Ardboe Industrial Estate the following day, Thursday 23 February.

Mr Corrigan also provided an update on Mr Caldwell.

"John is making a really good, steady recovery compared to where we were the night he was shot when we in the investigation team feared that he would die and it was treated as a potential murder from the beginning of the investigation," he said.

Earlier this week Mr Caldwell attended a garden party in Co Down with Britain's King Charles and Queen Camilla.

The event was the first time Mr Caldwell had appeared in public since the attack.

It is understood that he had a private audience with King Charles ahead of the event.

Queen Camilla also spent some minutes speaking with Mr Caldwell during the garden party at Hillsborough Castle.