A man and woman have appeared in court charged in connection with the death of a two-year-old girl in Dungannon in Co Tyrone.

Ali Jayden Doyle, who was initially named locally as Ali Maguire, died as a result of serious head injuries in hospital on Friday.

Darren John Armstrong, 32, and Jade Dempsey, 24, both appeared at Omagh Magistrates Court by video link.

Mr Armstrong, of Ashbeg Grove in Dungannon, is charged with murdering Ali and perverting the course of justice.

Ms Dempsey, originally from Dublin but with an address at Sycamore Drive in Dungannon, is charged with perverting the course of justice and causing the death of a child by unlawful action.

Both deny the charges.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

The court was told that Mr Armstrong phoned emergency services shortly after 11am last Friday to say a child had been seriously injured.

A PSNI officer said the accused claimed Ali's one-year-old brother had hit her with a toy and she had fallen and hit her head on the hearth.

The officer said an initial preliminary post-mortem examination had concluded the head injuries she received were more likely to have been non accidental.

He said a witness had reported hearing a child continuously screaming and another crying shortly before emergency services were called.

A lawyer for Ms Dempsey said she was not in the house at the time. He said she was on her way to Dungannon bus station to travel to Belfast to collect a new buggy and had left her two young children with Mr Armstrong.

Police objected to an application for her to be released on bail, saying they were concerned that Ms Dempsey would leave Northern Ireland as she has family in Dublin

They also objected to a bail application for Mr Armstrong, saying they feared he would leave the jurisdiction because of the seriousness of the charges.

Judge Bernie Kelly denied both applications for bail and the pair were remanded in custody to appear again by video link on 1 September.