Donegal County Council has confirmed that monitoring assessments carried out yesterday morning following a fire on Upper Main Street in Buncrana show that air quality in the area is satisfactory.

There had been concern about asbestos in a roof of one of the premises destroyed by the fire on Sunday night and an asbestos specialist visited the area on Monday afternoon.

He subsequently advised that the main street could be re-opened.

However Donegal County Council says that Ferris Lane, Bóthar Mhuire and the adjacent back lane should remain closed until debris removal is completed.

Two iconic premises in the town, John Barr's drapery shop and the Plaza Ballroom were gutted by the blaze.

The Plaza Ballroom was built in 1958 by the Barr family and was known for its sprung dance floor.

It is now a community-owned project catering for a number of different activities and events.

Country singer Mike Denver was due to play there later this month.