The Grenfell Tower public inquiry has been played footage of the moment firefighters entered the flat where the deadly inferno began.

Crew manager Batterbee and his colleague firefighter Brown, both from the North Kensington station, entered flat 16 on the fourth floor of the west London block by breaking down the door at about 1.07am on 14 June last year.

Thermal imaging camera footage was played to the inquiry during a presentation by Professor Niamh Nic Daeid, the director of the Leverhulme Research Centre for Forensic Science at the University of Dundee, who was explaining the origins of the fire and its spread.

The crew could be seen entering a smoke-clogged corridor and rooting through the flat, before a bright yellow glow can be seen in the kitchen.

"The yellow glow that you can see is the fire," the expert said.

Firefighters can be seen spraying liquid at the fire, which was put out in the flat itself at 1.20am.

A split-screen was used to show mobile phone footage of the flame beginning to spread up the outside of the building at the same time.

Prof Nic Daeid said: "The yellow glow that you can see is the fire that is down at the window ledge in the kitchen.

"The firefighters attempted to put out the fire and we can see there the hose reel is attempting to put water on the fire.

"They close the door and they open the door again to see that the fire is still present.

"At this point the firefighters spend some time discussing what tactics they can use to tackle the fire that is in the corner of the kitchen."

They re-entered at 1.20am and extinguished the fire.

However, embers could be seen falling from the tower's external facade at 1.08am, the expert said, and the blaze had started spreading from the kitchen window at 1.09am.

"This is around five minutes before the firefighters entered the kitchen for the first time," she added.

The yellow form of the burning cladding could be seen through the kitchen window in the thermal imaging footage.

The fridge-freezer where the fire is thought to have started was also visible with the top door missing.

Prof Nic Daeid said the cause of the fire was still "undetermined", as further tests needed to be carried out on the fridge freezer and surrounding electrical appliances to determine the chain of events.