An Irish pensioner who died after being found in flames on a London street accidentally ignited his clothing while lighting a cigarette, a coroner has concluded.

John Nolan's death near his flat in Tottenham, north London, was the subject of a police appeal for witnesses while they were unable to explain the incident.

However coroner Andrew Walker concluded that the retired construction worker, 70, originally from Co Mayo, died as a result of "accidental ignition of clothing".

"It's likely that Mr Nolan accidentally set his clothes on fire whilst lighting a cigarette," Mr Walker told North London Coroner's Court.

Mr Nolan, who was found with a pack of cigarettes and two lighters, suffered "severe" burns on 65% of his body after being alight for around six minutes.

The coroner agreed with the police's ultimate conclusion that Mr Nolan did not ignite himself deliberately, there was no-one else involved and a flammable liquid did not aid the fire.

Instead it was a "really tragic accident" aided by his lack of mobility, he said.

Mr Nolan, who emigrated to London from Swinford, Co Mayo, in the 1960s, took a stroll alone on 17 September, having been with his carer brother Jimmy. They planned to follow the All-Ireland Football final.

But at around 1pm, the Metropolitan Police were called to reports of a fire near Williams House in Orchard Place.

Passers-by tried to extinguish the flames and Mr Nolan was airlifted to Broomfield Hospital, in Chelmsford, Essex, where he died the following day. His brother and sister, Mary Caffrey, were with him.

After the inquest, John Nolan's nephew Kevin Byrne said the family agreed with the conclusion and it brought them some comfort.

"It's been a very painful case for the family," said the 32-year-old journalist, who lives in Co Wicklow.

"But hopefully the verdict appears to have brought a bit of closure."