skip to main content

Dáil told of devastating impact of recent flooding

An aerial view of Enniscorthy, Co Wexford after the River Slaney bursts its banks due to Storm Chandra
An aerial view of the flooding in Enniscorthy, Co Wexford following Storm Chandra last month

The Government has made 137 emergency response payments to flood victims in eight counties, the minister responsible for the Office of Public Works has said.

Kevin 'Boxer' Moran, an independent TD who serves as a Minister of State in the Government, said, as of Monday, 53 applications had also been made for emergency humanitarian flooding support.

It is a scheme to help small businesses and community, voluntary and sports organisations that have suffered damage.

Earlier this month the Government announced an expansion of the scheme from a limit of €20,000 to €100,000 and made it available to organisations with up to 50 employees, up from 20.

Mr Moran was addressing the Dáil about the series of floods that hit a number of areas across Ireland in the first few weeks of this year.


Watch: Drone footage shows scale of Enniscorthy flooding


A number of TDs told the minister of the impact the flooding has had on their constituents.

Sinn Féin's Johnny Mythen said roads around his hometown of Enniscorthy were "completely obliterated altogether", 60 businesses in the region were affected "some of whom have stated that they won't even open again" and many of the homes "destroyed by water and contaminated effluence" were occupied by old age pensioners.

The area has been flooded 16 times since the year 2000, he told Mr Moran.

Mr Mythen added: "I'm sure you realise the anguish, the torment, the feeling of desperation and the sleepless nights these people have gone through."

Mr Mythen said homeowners in the area have a "snowball's chance in hell" of getting insurance and "must replace every stick of furniture, including kitchens, fridges, personal belongings, and most of their white goods themselves".

The issue needs to be treated as a "humanitarian emergency", he said.

He said the delay to the River Slaney flood relief scheme because of the potential impact on the freshwater mussel was "infuriating" people and "pleaded" with the minister to "act now" and "approve the flood relief scheme independently".

Storm Chandra payments

€52,000 has been paid out to so far businesses affected by Storm Chandra under the enhanced humanitarian flooding scheme.

This figure represents the initial payments of up to €5,000.

The Department activated the scheme for businesses impacted by Storm Chandra and subsequent heavy rainfall, with the Irish Red Cross having received 57 applications, as of yesterday.

Minister for Enterprise, Tourism and Employment Peter Burke said the funds may be used to replace damaged flooring, fixtures, fittings, and stock "with the aim of enabling businesses to reopen as soon as possible".

He was responding to Sinn Féin TD Ruairí Ó Murchú yesterday, who said: "People believe the rain will never actually stop."

The scheme caters for small businesses of up to 50 employees, community, voluntary and sports organisations.

It was first opened in November due to flooding in Bantry and re-opened in November to help people in Co Wexford that were affected by Storm Claudia.

€82,000 was paid out for claims made at that time.