EU Trade Commissioner Phil Hogan was asked to outline his movements during his time in Ireland to the European Commission President.

Here is the timeline he sent to Ursula von der Leyen:

31 July:  "I arrived in Ireland, completed the statutory Passenger Locator Form and travelled to my temporary residence in Co Kildare." 

5 August: "I was admitted to a Dublin hospital for a medical procedure. 

"While in hospital, I tested negative for Covid-19 ( confirms that a negative test result ends the self-restriction period)." 

6 August: "I was discharged from hospital and returned briefly to my temporary residence in Co Kildare." 

7 August:  "I travelled to Kilkenny before the local lockdown rules came into effect at midnight in Co Kildare (and neighbouring counties Laois and Offaly)." 

12 August: "I travelled to Dublin from Kilkenny for essential work reasons, which required my attendance at the European Commission office. While in Dublin, I also had separate meetings with the Tánaiste and with Minister Robert Troy, to brief them on events relating to ongoing negotiations with the US." 

13 August:  "I played golf in Adare, Co Limerick, and returned to Kilkenny." 

17 August*:  "I travelled from Co Kilkenny to Co Galway via Co Kildare. I stopped briefly in Co Kildare at the property in which I had been staying for the purpose of collecting some personal belongings and essential papers relating to the ongoing negotiations with the USTR, Robert Lighthizer, which continued while I was in Co Galway. This culminated in an agreement on a package of tariff reductions on 21 August." 

18 August:  "I played golf in Co Galway, staying in Clifden (no formal dinner or reception)." 

19 August:  "I played golf in Clifden, and subsequently attended a formal dinner for which I have since  apologised." 

21 August:  "I returned from Galway to my temporary residence in Co Kildare to collect my remaining personal belongings, including my passport, and stayed there overnight to catch an early morning flight to my primary residence in Brussels from the nearby airport." 

22 August:  "I returned to Brussels." 

* In his statement to the Commission President, Commissioner Hogan confirmed he had been stopped by gardaí in Co Kildare on 17 August for using his mobile phone while driving.

"It was during this journey I was stopped by a member of the Irish police who had seen me holding a phone while I was driving. The policeman cautioned me against holding a phone and there were no charges or further actions under the road traffic legislation. I very much regret having answered the phone while driving."