Tributes have been paid to a 14-year-old girl who died after inhaling an aerosol substance that she may have taken after viewing a similar action on social media platform TikTok.

Sarah Mescall, from Kilnamona in Co Clare, was a second year pupil at Coláiste Muire in Ennis.

Sarah, who was one of three siblings, became ill last Friday and was taken to Children's Health Ireland (CHI) at Crumlin in Dublin, where she died on Monday.

Principal of Coláiste Muire Jean Pound said her classmates, school friends and teachers have been deeply saddened by her death and their thoughts and prayers are with her family.

She confirmed Sarah was a second year student and said that she will be greatly missed by her friends and the entire school community.

Coláiste Muire has put in place its critical counselling and support services to help pupils and teachers who have been affected by the death.

A mass was celebrated in the school today to remember Sarah and support her classmates and friends.

Her funeral will take place on Friday.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Sarah was a member of Inagh-Kilnamona GAA club which expressed "shock and sadness" at her death.

The club said the teenager was "a lovable, kind, energetic and fun loving girl" who "was only beginning on her journey of life".

"There are no words to describe the shock and sadness of the community.

"Our hearts go out to Sarah's parents, Joe and Deirdre, brother Jack and sister Emily, her grandad PJ, our Club President, and his wife Mary, Sarah's uncle Oliver, our Club Chairperson and the extended Mescall and Power families," a statement added.

Gardaí have confirmed they are gathering information about the death and their focus is to prepare an investigation file for a coroner.

The coroner may decide to hold an inquest once the circumstances leading up to her death have been confirmed.

Sarah Mescall died in Crumlin hospital on Monday

A spokesperson for TikTok said: "Our deepest sympathies are with the family experiencing this tragic loss.

"Content of this nature is prohibited on our platform and would be removed if found.

"We will continue to prioritise protecting and supporting our community, working with expert partners and providing safety resources to those who need them."

The Chair of the Oireachtas Committee on Media raised Sarah's death as the committee met this afternoon.

Niamh Smyth asked Online Safety Commissioner Niamh Hodnett to comment on concerns about online safety.

Ms Hodnett said they were very saddened to read about the death, saying "this is the very essence of why we need an online safety code".

Additional reporting Juliette Gash