Kerry Independent TD Michael Healy-Rae has been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire in his office and shop this morning.

Emergency services were called to the Kilgarvan village complex, which houses Mr Healy-Rae's post office and sorting office as well as his constituency office and shop.

Mr Healy-Rae was in the constituency office, which is attached to the shop when he became aware of the fire. 

He extinguished the fire himself during which he was exposed to smoke.  

The emergency services, including an ambulance from University Hosptial Kerry, was dispatched to the scene and Mr Healy Rae was treated at hospital in Tralee for smoke inhalation.

The shop remains closed but his son Jackie Healy-Rae said his father expects to attend his constituency clinics later today.      

Gardaí are not treating the fire as suspicious and say all early indications are that it was accidental.