A garda expert has criticised road signage as well as the 100kmh speed limit at a pedestrian crossing on the N22 in Co Kerry, where a student was killed while walking towards her mother's car at Glenflesk church, near Killarney, on 1 December 2017.

The Cork to Killarney bus stops in the village, the inquest into the death of UCC student Denise Crowley, 26, of Gortarrig, Headford, Killarney, was told.

The evening was dark and foggy and Ms Crowley, a computer science student, had got off the bus and waited for a short time before she began to cross the road.

She was three quarters of the way across the road when she was struck by a car at around 7.15pm.

CCTV had captured much of the incident, the inquest at Killarney Courthouse heard.

Garda James O'Brien, a Public Service Vehicle (PSV) inspector and forensics examiner, said it was "incomprehensible" to him that a pedestrian crossing designed for "wheelchair users, children and the visually impaired " was governed by a 100kmh speed limit.

A metal road sign at torso height, in place to guide motorists away from the footpath at the location, had obscured the view of the road, the garda also found.

The pedestrian was obscured from the car by the sign, and the car was obscured from the pedestrian by the same sign, the inquest was told.

The CCTV footage showed Ms Crowley looking to her left as she crossed the road, but it did not appear she looked to her right.

The driver, Gerard Hourigan, was travelling between 51-60kmh and did not have enough time to take avoidance action, Garda O'Brien said.

In her deposition, read by Superintendent Flor Murphy, Denise's mother Grace Crowley, who was visibly upset, told how she had gone by bus from Glenflesk to Cork that morning to visit her husband Denis in Cork University Hospital and returned to Killarney by bus.

She said Denise had an assignment to hand in at UCC and took a later bus home.

Ms Crowley met her sister in Killarney and did some shopping. As they made their way to Glenflesk church to collect her car, they noticed something on the road.

"I said out loud, that could be my daughter," she said. She rang her daughter's phone and a man answered and said there had been an accident.

Alan Hourigan, a front seat passenger in the car involved driven by his father Gerard, told of their shock and of how he got out and checked for Denise's pulse.

The jury returned a verdict of accidental death as a result of a road traffic incident.

Coroner Aisling Quilter said she was recommending a lower speed limit at the scene.

At the end of the inquest the solicitor for Gerard Hourigan passed on his condolences to the Crowley family.