A verdict of accidental poisoning has been returned in the death of a 24-year-old Brazilian student on an Aer Lingus flight in October 2015.

John Kennedy Santos Gurgao died from cocaine poisoning on board the flight from Lisbon to Dublin.

A post-mortem examination found 113 rolls of cocaine, individually wrapped in black plastic and weighing almost one kilo, in his system.

At the inquest into his death today, the Coroner's Court for South Cork heard Gurjao had four times the average fatal level of cocaine in his body.

The flight had to be diverted to Cork Airport on 18 October 2015 when Gurjao became very agitated, and had to be handcuffed after biting another passenger.

Senior crew member Orla MacCarville said there were 169 passengers on board the flight. 

All was going well until 50 minutes into the flight when she noticed a man "frantically standing on headrests" trying to get past them to the toilet as they served food.

When he emerged he was shouting and very agitated and he began to have a seizure.

When he came around he became wilder and more aggressive and bit another passenger on the arm.

At that point it became necessary to restrain him with handcuffs behind his back.

When asked, she said they did not unlock these when it became necessary to give him CPR because there was not time as he had no pulse and was not breathing.

Keith Carroll, an ICU nurse based in Dublin who answered the crew's call for medical help said he and his colleague Fiona Kirwan carried out CPR for up to 50 minutes. 

Olga Pinto, who knew the deceased, told the court that he was very nervous when she met him at Lisbon airport.

She put it down to the fact that his Visa to Ireland was due to expire the same day.

She offered to translate when he became ill and agitated.

She said as he was being restrained he kept saying he wanted to use the toilet and that he was going to die.

The court was told that Ms Pinto was later arrested by gardaí on suspicious of having an illegal substance in her bags.

When tested, the white powder turned out to be flour and she was later released without charged.

Coroner Frank O'Connell returned a verdict of accidental poisoning. 

He said he wanted to acknowledge the heroic efforts made by staff on board the plane that day, saying it must have been a very frightening experience for everyone.

Mr O'Connell added that this was the first case of its kind to come before him and that smuggling drugs like this was like playing Russian roulette.