Three people have been rescued after a fire on board a fishing vessel off the east coast.

The boat went up in flames 29 miles east of Arklow.

One person has been hospitalised for smoke inhalation.

Two other people who were on the vessel have been brought to shore this evening by the Arklow RNLI boat.

Station Officer with the Marine Rescue Coordination Centre in Dublin Alan Osbourne said the centre received an emergency beacon from the Suzanne 2 fishing vessel.

However, he said when attempts were made to call, there was no answer.

He said that when a call went out to nearby vessels, they reported seeing black smoke.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

A vessel called the Highlander made its way to the Suzanne 2 where passengers had got into a life raft.

The Arklow RNLI Boat, the Wicklow RNLI Boat and the Waterford-based coast guard helicopter Rescue 117 were deployed.

Rescue 117 took the individual suffering from smoke inhalation to University Hospital Waterford.

The two remaining passengers have been taken to Arklow. Efforts were made to put the fire out but the vessel later sank.

Arklow RNLI Coxswain Ned Dillon said: "Thankfully, all three fishermen were rescued this evening and we would like to wish them all a speedy recovery following what must have been a frightening experience.

"We would like to commend the skipper and his crew for doing the right thing and activating the Epirb when they knew they were in difficulty, that was the right thing to do.

"We would also like to thank and commend the crew of the vessels that were in the area and responded along with ourselves and our colleagues at Wicklow RNLI and in the Irish Coast Guard.

"It is always sad to see a fishing vessel sink but we are delighted that all three fishermen are safe and recovering from their ordeal this evening."