Munster Technological University has confirmed that data from its systems has been made available on the "dark web" following last week's cyber attack.
In a statement this evening, MTU management said it is not possible yet to establish the nature of the data affected, or who has been affected.
But it has had confirmation from their technical advisers and members of the National Cyber Security Centre that "certain data" has been accessed and copied from MTU systems during the course of last weekend's ransomware incident and made available on the "dark web".
However, MTU said that its campuses were due to reopen tomorrow, following last week's closure in the wake of the cyber attack, with classes scheduled to operate in line with existing timetables.
The Data Protection Commission has been notified of the development regarding data being made available on the dark web, according to MTU.
The university's forensic experts are continuing to investigate the incident and will be reviewing the nature of the data compromised.
"While it is not possible at this early stage to fully ascertain the exact nature of all data (including personal data) affected or the identity of all persons affected by this release, we have already commenced the process of notifying those potentially affected of this development," MTU said in the statement.
It added that anyone "potentially affected" by the incident should follow the advice of the National Cyber Security Centre.
MTU secured an interim injunction from the High Court on Friday night to prevent the sale, publication, sharing, possession, or any other use of any illegally obtained data from the MTU systems in the course of the ransomware incident.
"We wish to reassure our students, staff and all other persons potentially affected by this update that we are deploying all available resources with the support of our external forensic advisers and the National Cyber Security Centre in the investigation and mitigation of this matter."