An invitation has been issued to members of the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes to attend an Oireachtas committee this month to answer questions about its work.

The invitation was issued by the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Children and Youth.

The commission, which was dissolved in February, has declined to go before the Oireachtas twice since the publication of its final report.

In the latest invitation it has been asked to go before the children's committee on 17 June.

However, that date is flexible according to committee chairperson Sinn Féin TD Kathleen Funchion, who has stressed that it will not be antagonistic in its approach.

Ms Funchion said it is seeking answers about the terms of reference under which the commission worked, the findings of the report, the tone and language contained in it and why many survivors feel their testimonies were not included.

Minister for Children and Youth Affairs Roderic O'Gorman yesterday said the members of the commission need to "urgently clarify" its treatment of the personal accounts of survivors of the homes.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences


Mother-and-baby home testimony process a 'waste of time'
Deletion of witness recordings at Mother and Baby Homes Commission defended


Earlier, Ms Funchion said all the committee members discussed the issue and "we all feel equally frustrated and angry" that the commissioners refused to "come and talk to us a few months ago".

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Ms Funchion said it was "upsetting, insulting and distressing" for survivors of the homes to hear that the commissioners felt it was inappropriate to talk to an Oireachtas committee but that Professor Mary Daly chose to speak at an Oxford University event on the issue.

She said the fact she has now spoken publicly has led to increased public pressure "for them to come and speak and answer questions", but she stressed it would not be an antagonistic meeting.

Ms Funchion said: "We just want them to answer questions".

"We do feel there is many survivors who have questions around why their testimonies were not included [in the final report]," she said.

Prof Daly spoke to an online Oxford seminar in Irish History on Tuesday, and said the commission was limited in what it could do due to the terms of reference it had to operate under.

She confirmed that the evidence provided by 550 survivors to the confidential committee was discounted, saying that the report "reads as realistic".

She argued that the main report of the commission had to meet robust legal standards of evidence.

There were 550 testimonies to the confidential committee and 19 in front of the commission.

An adoption rights advocate has described the final report of the Mother and Baby Homes Commission as "an insult to us all".

Co-founder of the Adoption Rights Alliance Claire McGettrick, said: "The State's efforts so far in this regard have failed, so we need immediate access to records, and it needs to be unfettered."

She said there needs to be a more victim-centred approach, adding that "Natural parents are being given no rights, no information rights."

Following remarks by Prof Daly about the commission's work and the legal constraints that shaped the final report, Labour Party leader Alan Kelly and Social Democrats TD Holly Cairns called for the report to be repudiated.

Ms McGettrick said: "Clearly from Professor Daly's comments the other day, we've more questions than answers.

"In the years since the commission was set up in 2015 with myself and Dr Maeve O'Rourke, we constantly looked for answers from the commission, but it was like dealing with blank screens."

Minister O'Gorman has said that the State's planned redress scheme for the survivors could be impacted by any move to repudiate the final report.

Ms McGettrick has criticised the Government's response.

She said: "If you believe survivors, if you believe adopted people, if you believe mothers that forced adoption, incarceration that forced family separation was a violation of human rights, well then what's stopping you from putting together redress?

"I don't buy that a Commission Report, that's an insult to all of us, is somehow tying the Government's hands."

Fine Gael Senator Regina Doherty said she called for the commission's report to be rejected in January, even before the current controversy.

She said that for Prof Daly to say at a conference "the nerve of people to question or criticise the findings of their inquiry" given they never asked Government during her time in Cabinet for any guidance is very difficult to understand.

She said that "never once" in her four years at Cabinet did the commissioners say there was any problem with the terms of reference or look for assistance with any measure, except to look for an extension of time.

She questioned if anyone had asked if the proposed redress scheme would now be based on false information and not the actual testimony of survivors.

She said the report the redress scheme is based on "questioned people's lived experiences and [it] said that no evidence was there when there was an abundance of testimony".

However, she said that the redress scheme is the "only way...we can show how we are really sorry as a state for what we put those women through for generations".

Ms Doherty said that the Tracing and Adoption Bill will become legislation and records archived "but this is not enough".