Three passengers who were on board a mini bus that was stolen at Dublin Airport said they were unaware they had been driven off in a stolen vehicle.

According to gardaí, the tourists, who are from Colombia and England, believed they were being taken to their hotel for the night as planned, when two men got in and started the bus.

The three said although they thought the driving was a bit erratic, they had no reason to think they were in any danger. They were unharmed throughout the incident and had not been robbed.

When they were let off at the City North Hotel near Julianstown in Co Meath, they thought they had arrived at their designated hotel and asked to check-in, only to be told they had no booking.

The three then decided to get a taxi back to the airport and contact Aer Lingus.

They had arrived on a transatlantic flight last night and had been due to take a connecting flight to a European destination, but missed this through a delay.

Aer Lingus was to put them up in the Carlton Hotel near Dublin Airport.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

After eventually being brought to the right hotel, they were able to spend the night there and make their flight.

Gardaí were alerted to the incident shortly before 1am, after two men in their 30s got on the bus taking the people to a nearby hotel.

They drove it away in the direction of the M1 after the bus driver went into the terminal building to find a fourth passenger.

After the passengers were dropped off, the bus was then driven north on the M1 where it was located by gardaí near Drogheda, who followed it before it was driven across the border north of Dundalk.

The bus rammed a garda car outside the town, and as the PSNI became involved, a PSNI vehicle was also rammed near Crossmaglen, Co Armagh.

The bus later crossed back over the border and was located in Co Monaghan, where it crashed a short time later. The men fled the scene on foot, before stealing a parked car.

The stolen car then rammed a vehicle being driven by officers from the Garda Regional Support Unit near Castleblayney, at which point the suspects were arrested.

The two are being held at Carrickmacross Garda Station.

They are also being questioned in connection with other crimes in Monaghan, Meath and Louth in recent days.