A Donegal man has been remanded in custody charged with the murders of two soldiers in Northern Ireland in 1972.

John Downey appeared at Omagh Magistrates' Court this morning after being extradited from the Republic last night.

The 67-year-old, whose trial for the IRA's Hyde Park bombing in 1982 collapsed in controversy five years ago, is charged with the murders of two members of the Ulster Defence Regiment.

Lance Corporal Alfred Johnston, 32, and 33-year-old Private James Eames were killed in a car bomb attack in Enniskillen in Co Fermanagh in 1972.

The judge refused an application for Mr Downey to be released on bail on the basis that he was a "flight risk"

Mr Downey was arrested at his home in Creeslough, Co Donegal, in October last year under a European Arrest Warrant.

In March the High Court in Dublin ruled that he should be extradited to Northern Ireland to face trial.

Mr Downey appealed that ruling, but lost.

He handed himself over to gardaí by agreement in Letterkenny yesterday.

He was then taken to Cloverhill Prison in Dublin as stipulated in his extradition warrant.

A short time later he was driven to Newry and handed over to the PSNI at 8.45pm.

In Omagh Magistrates court today, a PSNI Detective Chief Inspector objected to Mr Downey being released on bail.

He said the defendant fought all the way to prevent his extradition to Northern Ireland to face trial.

"It is the police view that the defendant does not want to stand trial in Northern Ireland," he said.

He later added that the PSNI believe "that the defendant is reluctant to face justice."

The PSNI officer said that while the defendant had provided a possible bail address in Northern Ireland, he could easily cross the border to his family home in Co Donegal.

If that happened the officer told the court that with all the uncertainty surrounding Brexit it could be a lengthy process to get him back to Northern Ireland to face trial.

The PSNI officer also told the court the defendant was previously on trial for the IRA's Hyde Park bombing in 1982 in relation to four murders and one charge of causing an explosion.

That process was halted on the 25th of February 2014.

The Detective Chief Inspector said the families of the four soldiers killed in the bombing are engaged in civil proceedings against Mr Downey.

He said Mr Downey had transferred all of his assets into his wife's name, and suggested this was to avoid paying damages if the families succeed in winning their case.

A lawyer for Mr Downey told the court the father of five is in poor health and "there is nowhere this man can go to escape."

Barrister Michael Duffy told the court his client had meticulously complied with all conditions when released on bail for six months after being charged with the Hyde Park bombing.

Rejecting the application, Judge Michael Ranaghan said he accepted that "there is a risk of flight".

Mr Downey was remanded in custody to appear in court again on 25 October.

As he was led from the court to a police van to be taken to prison a crowd of supporters applauded and shouted support.