A 19-year-old man who was hospitalised over the weekend after taking a substance at a Cork music festival has died.
He has been named as Jack Downey from Clonmel in Co Tipperary.
He was believed to have ingested a substance while attending the Indiependence music festival at Mitchelstown in Co Cork.
Mr Downey walked into the medical centre at the festival and complained of feeling unwell.
He was treated there before being transferred to Cork University Hospital, where his condition deteriorated and he died today.
On Facebook, his club Clonmel Óg Hurling and Football Club posted a message of sympathy.
We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences
"Our worst fears were realised this afternoon with the news that Jack Downey passed away in the company of his parents."
The club is holding a mass this evening. They had planned it to pray for his recovery, but they decided to go ahead with the mass when it was known that he had died.
"At a time like this we need to be strong and there for each other," the club added.
In a statement issued this evening, Indiependence Festival said gardaí are investigating the incident.
"As with all sudden deaths, An Garda Siochána are investigating any pre-existing medical conditions and the circumstances surrounding the matter.
"Our immediate thoughts and those of all the festival-goers are with the family, relatives and friends of the deceased at their very sad loss."