A Co Wexford man, who is alleged to have run onto the tarmac at Dublin Airport after missing his flight, has been granted bail.

Patrick Kehoe, 23, from Raheenaskeagh, Oulart, Co Wexford, dashed past news photographers and then dropped his trousers after he was let out on bail by Dublin District Court.

Gardaí were alerted following a breach of security at Terminal 1 at about 7am this morning.

Ryanair staff and airport police stopped a man at the apron while he allegedly chased and tried to flag down a flight bound for Amsterdam.

The passenger was late for his flight but got through the boarding gate and a door leading to the tarmac, close to the Ryanair plane.

He was restrained and held until gardaí arrived and brought him to Ballymun station.

Mr Kehoe is accused of criminal damage to a magnetic door lock at Gate 106 at Dublin Airport.

The judge asked him if he had a solicitor, to which he replied, "No". He had the same answers when the judge asked him if he was working and if he had the name of a solicitor.

"I don't know any of them, do you want to chose me one?" he said.

The judge said she could and she assigned solicitor Peter Connolly to act for the accused.

Garda David Cahill told the court he arrested Mr Kehoe at Dublin Airport at 7.50am and brought him to Ballymun station.

"He made no reply to the charge after caution," Garda Cahill said.

Garda Cahill said he did not have directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) yet and he sought a six-week adjournment.

There were no objections to bail but Garda Cahill sought a bail condition banning the accused from Dublin Airport unless he had "legitimate business" there.

However, this was successfully resisted by Mr Connolly who objected to this condition.

Garda Cahill said it was possible that there would be "further charges".

Mr Kehoe has not yet indicated how he will plead.

Judge Bernadette Owens did not ban him from the airport but imposed the statutory bail terms, to keep the peace and be of good behaviour.

He was released on his own bond of €200 and ordered to appear again on 8 November next for the DPP's directions to be conveyed.

Legal aid was granted after Mr Connolly furnished the court with a statement of his client's means.

Mr Kehoe, with his luggage in tow, left the court with a woman shortly after the hearing.